The next version of Cairo...

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/The next version of Cairo...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]
... will have native OpenGL support.

Which is kind of exciting, I think :-)

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#2]
Cool! Any idea when? I only ask because I am about to take on a project that I thought about using Cairo for.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#3]
Using this Module for real time game or application is conceivable ?
I would love to create vectorial project.
Like world of Goo rendering style (don't exactly know if it's vector or raster).

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
As well as GL, it has other new surfaces, such as XML and Script - both of which are text format descriptions of the drawing.

At least it all appears to build and link (on Mac, although I had to hack the GL header because Mac headers are in a different location - Which leads me to believe they've not tested this on Mac yet... ho hum).

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#5]
so, basically it will be faster?

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#6]
Exciting indeed.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
so, basically it will be faster?

I've no idea. One would hope so.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#8]
The outline mode of Inkscape uses Cairo, but if you are unsure whether Cairo is fast enough, here is a really quick stress test (open up in Inkscape and then go to outline mode, and pan around and move points): moderately complex vector graphic
I have no idea which version of Cairo they are using, so I cannot say if it is hardware-accelerated or not. But OpenGL in Cairo depends on glitz, and glitz docs are notoriously poor.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
But OpenGL in Cairo depends on glitz, and glitz docs are notoriously poor.

Indeed they are. But there's a new backend which doesn't use glitz, and is hopefully much easier to use.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#10]
Ah, I hadn't heard about that. It looks like OpenVG will be supported too.
http://www.cairographics.org/OpenGL/
Yay!
Awesome, Brucey, awesome!

I have one question for you, though: why don't you sell certain of these modules and give some percentage of the earnings to BRL? Or, just sell certain of these modules? I really don't care whatever you do with them, it's still awesome.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#11]
OpenVG - The Standard for Vector Graphics Acceleration
Interesting stuff !
I wonder how fast OpenVG is.

No offence but I think it's rather BRL that should contribute to Brucey module :)
Do Bjarne Stroustrup receive any percentage of any software produced with C++ for using his language ?
Don't think so. At least there is a donate PayPal functionality :)