bah.interprocess

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/bah.interprocess

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#1]
Brucey,

I need to ask you a pretty basic question:

In your shared_memory.bmx example, what size do I need to set the memory object to in order be able to use a number greater than 255?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
Size is in bytes, so if you set it to 1, that's one byte of memory. 4 would be the size of an Int, for example. If you wanted to store 4 Ints, you could set it to 16... and so on.

GetAddress() returns a Byte Ptr. You may want to cast that to an Int Ptr if you want use it like an array for Ints.

So,

Local mem:Int Ptr = Int Ptr(region.GetAddress())

mem[0] = 1234567 ' set an int (first 4 bytes of the memory block)

There's also a TSharedBank which can be used like a normal TBank except that it uses shared memory. (I don't seem to have an example for that... for some reason)

degac(Posted 2009) [#3]

In your shared_memory.bmx example

...mmm?!?...excuse my ignorance, but where is this example (and I presume this Module)?
I'm very interested in it!

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#4]
Thanks Brucey. I really should try and understand these bits and bytes, your input helps a lot. Funny you should mentioned TShared bank, I was looking for that. I presume I can find functions for it somewhere in there. I'll look.

Degac, check out bah.interprocess via SVN.

degac(Posted 2009) [#5]
Degac, check out bah.interprocess via SVN.

Ok, mystery resolved, thanks!

SebHoll(Posted 2009) [#6]
BaH dot whooodgywhah????

Didn't even know you had made such a module - I've never seen it on any of your modules lists before.

Awesomeness Brucey - pure awesomeness! :-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
I've never seen it on any of your modules lists before

Well, I don't always talk about in-development projects. You know how it is :-p

It sits on top of the boost module, and seems to work very well on the three platforms. Although I've not thrashed it with a proper app yet. Things like this are very "niche", I think. More niche than some of my other modules...

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#8]
I don't know about "niche", definitely a major feature.