Compiling cairo.mod

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Compiling cairo.mod

matty47(Posted 2009) [#1]
I probably stuffed something up but I can't seem to compile the above mod. I downloaded cairo.mod source from googlecode and it is in Blitzmax\mod\BaH.mod\cairo.mod
I am using Blitzmax version 1.33 and have reinstalled MinGW using Blitzmax companion - only thing that did not install was Fasm so I am using original Blitzmax version. At command shell "gcc --version" reports "gcc (GCC) 3.4.5 (mingw-vista special r3)"
My OS is Win XP SP2
Using command shell "bmk makemods BaH" produces no output although there is a bit of hard drive activity before the prompt re appears.
I tried compiling the blitz community framework as a check of MinGW and it did give output.......
Any ideas
Thanks - feeling lost and inadequate..........

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
Hi :-)

First, make sure it's in the correct location :

BlitzMax/mod/bah.mod/cairo.mod

The main file is cairo.bmx, so the path to that should look like :

BlitzMax/mod/bah.mod/cairo.mod/cairo.bmx

Once you've got that, you can either do:
bmk makemods bah

which should build all BaH. modules, or you can be even more specific :
bmk makemods bah.cairo

To force a rebuild you can use the "-a" flag :
bmk makemods -a bah.cairo

HTH

markcw(Posted 2009) [#3]
Using command shell "bmk makemods BaH" produces no output although there is a bit of hard drive activity before the prompt re appears.

Did you 'cd' to the BlitzMax/bin folder first?

Also, you're better to name your mod folders in lowercase, saves this sort of thing happening (although that may be just in Linux).

matty47(Posted 2009) [#4]
Strange - I renamed the BaH folder to bah and the module compiled. I was sure case did not matter on windows. ????
Thanks for the input

theHand(Posted 2009) [#5]
I am also having trouble compiling the module (I want to so badly!).
I get this error:
Compiling:pixman-access.c
Build Error: failed to compile C:/Program Files/BlitzMax/mod/bah.mod/cairo.mod/src/pixman/pixman-access.c
I am still teaching myself C and have not yet learned enough to diagnose this problem, and request your (or any other person who can capably assist) help.

Thank you for your wonderful modules, Brucey! I am overjoyed to see wxWidgets, Cairo, and FreeImage all "part of" BlitzMax!
Seriously, the first time I saw all of your modules I just blinked, like "...no, this can't be real." You built many bridges for commutation between these libraries and BlitzMax, and if I met you in person I think I just might kiss your shoes/feet!
Thank you for *all* of your efforts, and the time you spent reading (and maybe replying to) this post.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
Usually, an error like that means that you don't have MinGW installed, or don't have it set up properly. (otherwise you'd see some real compilation errors)

If you follow this guide that should get you everything you need to compile c/c++ source on Windows. (Note the important steps of adding to the PATH and creating a new MINGW environment variable).

Thank you for *all* of your efforts

You're welcome.
I hope find some of them useful :-)

markcw(Posted 2009) [#7]
If I met you in person I think I just might kiss your shoes/feet!

You could just donate some money you know.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#8]
I want to, but I am uncomfortably close to being out on the street.
My situation is getting better, so hopefully I can, soon.
You guys (BRL) should also charge for each version upgrade (talking either 1.5 and/or 2.0) (and only make the upgrade slightly cheaper). I have only seen libraries offer functionality (and not ease of use nor a shallow learning curve) like BlitzMax does (Allegro is the only such library I know of, actually).

In time, I'd like to help with BlitzMax (developing, or even just adding to) like Brucey does.

theHand(Posted 2009) [#9]
I got it to work (I had MinGW installed, but only as part of Cygwin, so it really wasn't configured correctly, huh...).
It was f***ing magical to watch everything compile. I cried at the end (I didn't see a single complier error!!!!) seeing all the work you guys had put into it! So awesome!

(could you tell that this was the first time I've ever compiled the modules?)

Also, I had the folder named "BaH.mod", so, matty, I think you did something else different [to get it to work].