Don't try this at home...

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Don't try this at home...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]

Accessing undocumented features of BlitzMax is not for those with a nervous disposition :-p

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Eclipse!
I noticed your help request thread for the Eclipse plugin a while back, but ended up not posting my response.. Then it disappeared.
I was going to make a thread about it after that but I thought it'd of been rather unproper..

Anyhow, I'd love to test this and report bugs, but I've never used Java (so I'm useless for helping on the actual plugin).

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
Coding the debugger is currently sucking away on what little is left of my life-energy... :-/

Hopefully one day, variables will appear in that "Variables" list on the right there.

Once we get things to something resembling stability, we'll be happy for the testing.
As it currently stands, it's just nice to look at (from afar).

;-)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#4]
Once we get things to something resembling stability, we'll be happy for the testing.

Then it will be a real dilemma ! :)

Currently using Blide and very happy with it I must admit that since I need to re-re-re-learn a bit of Flash (Flex and more) using the same IDE over every different languages would be interesting... But I suppose there is no real huge differences between them.

An Eclipse plugin would be top under Linux or Macos, well I suppose :)

I was currently wondering what kind of things you were doing this summer, I though about plage and pool for about a week but no :D

Still planing OFX Framework by the way ?

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#5]
Oh that's cool! I recently got Flex Builder for a project, love Eclipse.

markcw(Posted 2009) [#6]
Shall we continue to use the default ide then?

sswift(Posted 2009) [#7]
Speaking of undocumented features, I was just looking through Mark's code and I noticed CRAZY stuff like:

For X = 0 Until Blah

And

If Blah1 = Blah2 Then "Hello world!"

The first runs the loop like a Repeat Until loop where X is incremeneted a the end, so the loop never runs with X = Blah, and the latter... Well I dunno, maybe shorthand for DebugLog?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Shall we continue to use the default ide then?

Or the CE version :-)

For X = 0 Until Blah

Yes, it's like using "To Blah -1". I use it all the time, since arrays are zero indexed and the last entry is always length-1.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
Finally... the debugging is coming together :

What a nightmare it's been...

Interestingly, the Stack shows in reverse - for some weird and wonderful reason I have yet to get to the bottom of... but otherwise, I'm reasonably happy with the progress. The fact that it more or less looks how I imagined it should (the stepping and variables, etc), makes me think all this work has been worthwhile.

Alas, it needs a "Module Developer" perspective or something, before I can sit and use it as an everyday editor, but it's getting there.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#10]
Nice work Brucey :)
Courage !
This could become the best crossplatform IDE for Max out there.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
Not likely, but if it lives up to my requirements, it will become *my* IDE of choice for BlitzMax - which is the whole idea, I suppose.

I've just ported the "debugger" to BlitzMax (from Java) so that Java is no-longer a debugging runtime requirement. (ah... not that that statement may make any sense to anyone else given that Java is obviously already a requirement, and I'd try to explain it, but it's all a bit technical... so nevermind)

plash(Posted 2009) [#12]
I've just ported the "debugger" to BlitzMax (from Java) so that Java is no-longer a debugging runtime requirement.
Are you able to use the BlitzMax version of the debugger with Eclipse instead of the Java version?
Or is the conversion just for other projects?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
The debugger is effectively an interface to the xdebug (xdbg) protocol.
When launched, it connects to an xdebug server instance, and kicks off the debug version of an application. It handles communication from the "IDE", and passing data between the two.

plash(Posted 2009) [#14]
Ah. Interesting.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#15]
Eclipse is pretty cool if you have enough RAM.

Would it do auto-completion for blitz?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#16]
Would it do auto-completion for blitz?

At some point, one would hope so.

plash(Posted 2009) [#17]
At some point, one would hope so.
BLIde can parse the .i (interface) files from modules. Perhaps we could get him to release the specification/code to do it when this gets a little further along?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#18]
I suppose that's one direction to take, but it's not so useful when developing modules - since the .i files won't exist until you've built it.

Although I'm likely to be in a minority with that issue :-p

plash(Posted 2009) [#19]
I suppose that's one direction to take, but it's not so useful when developing modules - since the .i files won't exist until you've built it.
Right. But it's certainly faster and easier than parsing the actual code.