open frameworks

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/open frameworks

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#1]
Have you seen this?
http://www.openframeworks.cc
..thought you might like it.

PS. you have to subscribe to get to the downloads (cross platform).

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
A little Intel Mac-Only demo : moviegrabber.zip (1.7meg)

You'll need a web-camera of some kind.
<edit> move mouse around... image moves with it.
Escape to quit.

I realise it's not very exciting, but it is actually drawing onto a Max2D created window :-)

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#3]
Well there's a first - now I'm in a Blitzmax window :)

[edit] Wonder what the frame rate is like? Seems smooth.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
More fun with BlitzMax and realtime image stuff..

Top-left : live image
Top-right : same image in greyscale
Middle-left: original image
Middle-right: difference (between original and current, based on a threshold)
Bottom-right: detected contours and bounding boxes.

Of course, the drawback with all this fun stuff, is you spend ages "playing" with it, and not actually doing anything constructive...
:-)

Oh, and the "Hello" was just me seeing if DrawText works at the same time. Which it does.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#5]
Is Open Frameworks something long the lines of Open CV? Do you have plans to to add this to your arsenal of modules?

plash(Posted 2009) [#6]
Is Open Frameworks something long the lines of Open CV?
I would reckon any of the camera stuff is integrated into it (strange to use it for images or whatever). Probably all the features are based around motion detection and multi-touch.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
Is Open Frameworks something long the lines of Open CV?

This particular example is using OpenCV (through OpenFrameworks) to do the image processing, but the demo app (in a previous post) just pumps the video straight to the window.

Do you have plans to to add this to your arsenal of modules?

I suppose so. But I think, under the ofx namespace (rather than bah), because there are *many* different addons that can be added to the core - like this opencv module.

strange to use it for images or whatever

They are actually pushing it as a "Processing" for C++ (where Processing is Java-based).

I like the fact I can easily mix in Max2D stuff with it.

There are lots of videos on youtube showing some interesting things done with OpenFrameworks.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#8]
Very nice Brucey, I'll keep watching this space.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#9]
So when do we get to play with this? :-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
Okay... I've built this, and it ran on on Darwine but couldn't find a camera... so I have no idea if this will work properly on native Windows : moviegrabber_win32.zip (1.1meg)

As per the Mac version :
You'll need a web-camera of some kind.
move mouse around... image moves with it.
Escape to quit.

Please let me know if it works (or not).
(Given the extra amount of effort required to get it to compile and link properly on Windows, I hope it does work... *sigh* )

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#11]
I'm getting an error trying to run this on Vista64:

The procedure entry point FMOD_ChannelGroup_Get#DOcclusion could not be located in the dynamic link library fmodex.dll.

moviegrabber.exe has stopped working - Check online for a solution and close the program / close the program

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#12]
Same error in XP

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
Ah.

Okay. I've dropped the correct version of the dll in with it now. Hopefully that helps a bit.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#14]
It works!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#15]
That's good to know! Thanks for testing.
A step in the right direction.

It's also good to know that the cross-compiling works with bigger projects too. It used to be such a hassle while developing modules... zipping up the source, copying it, setting it up, compile/fix/compile/fix... then zipping it up, copying it back, compile/tweak...

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#16]
Yups, works for me under Vista64 too now.

Beaker(Posted 2009) [#17]
Works good on my netbook.