wxMax - I'm going to break SVN :-p

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxMax - I'm going to break SVN :-p

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]
Rather than branching and working there, it's much easier for me just to check everything into trunk...

Then I can start work on fixing the Win32 and Linux builds for 2.9...

I would advise not updating wxMax for a while....

Revision 601 is the current working (if you can call it that :-p) version.

If you inadvertently update, you should be able to roll it back to 601 without too much bother.

Wiebo(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'll stay off my svn commands for a while =]

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#3]
Revision 601 is the current working (if you can call it that :-p) version

Don't be too hard on your baby :-) I'd definitely call it that! Considering the size of the module and the functionality offered, I'd say the amount of bugs are pretty low.

Maybe you'll get lucky and the Win and Linux builds won't be as difficult as the mac ones.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
Maybe you'll get lucky and the Win and Linux builds won't be as difficult as the mac ones.

I'm kind of hoping that I've covered most of the major issues already..

...although saying that, wxShapeframework has failed on Linux... I think for now, I'd be best disabling it altogether... at least until the author gets it sorted.

A fully compiled SVN of wxWidgets sucks up 1.18gig of my life... I remember buying my first HDD for my Amiga 1200... it was a massive 120 meg....

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
Aha.... I suppose this will help with some problems : http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/deprecated.html

:-p

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
One minor fix to wxCalendarCtrl for Linux... most of the samples seem to be working fine.

Current issues include wxPropgrid (which is completely broken on all platforms for the moment), and some of the samples need updating as per some API changes.
Surprisingly, wxSheet seems to work well on both Mac and Linux after I hacked in some changes to make it compile again...

Working on the Win32 build still - takes AAAAAAAAAAAGES to compile up the static libs. (and then again when you realize you forgot to set a compiler flag.... and then again again, when you realize there was yet another one to set)

On Mac, wxAUI tool bars look broken (at least they did when I ran the sample)..

Htbaa(Posted 2009) [#7]
wx doesn't sound like a lot of fun this way :-)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Nah.... it's fine really... just finished my 5th build on Win32 :-p

Hopefully that's everything configured properly now... (currently building modules again)

At least BlitzMax gives you the flexibility to rebuild only one set of modules - rather than everything.
But still... I *really* want a parallel build option in bmk...

plash(Posted 2009) [#9]
*Starts funding project to get Brucey a supercomputer*
;)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
Heh :-)

Righty... well, as it currently stands, wxMax SVN should build on all three platforms now using wxWidgets 2.9.0 static libraries.

Non-functioning modules are :
* wxPropgrid
* wxShapeFramework

Everything else appears, at least on the surface, to be working. Although of course I've not tested everything yet.
Some of the samples don't compile because of API changes - which I will need to go through and update. But the rest of the samples were able to run fine on the three platforms.

If you are doing anything important with wxMax at the moment, you may want to stay away from the repository for a while until any problems get fixed (like, for example, wxPropgrid - which may take some time to fix, given the rather huge list of errors I get during the build).

Of course, if you are daring enough to give it a try, then I'd be pleased if you log any issues on the issues list at googlecode. This way, it's a bit easier for me to remember everything that's broken.

One tip. If you want to try the latest, but also want to keep the old one, you can simply rename the wx.mod folder and checkout the latest code into a new wx.mod folder. To revert, you just rename it back and rebuild your apps.

Thanks for your patience

:o)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#11]
Remember. If you update to the latest you will need to rebuild the modules and ensure any apps you recompile the first time are full compiles, not quick! :-)

A quick way to rebuild only wx is to open your favourite command-line, go to the BlitzMax/bin folder and type the following :
    bmk makemods -a wx

:o)

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#12]
any one else having lots of errors when building the wxcodegen code (Build GUI App is the only tick i have on)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#13]
Does a full rebuild of wxMax complete okay?

I've updated two XP installations to the latest SVN and rebuilt, and it is working fine.

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#14]
I have rebuilt everything and there are no errors. I have had this error since rev 606?

here is the top part of my error message:
Building wxCodeGen
Compiling:codegenbase.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1021293 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 44875 bytes.
Compiling:mappercore.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1020913 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 2692 bytes.
Compiling:fbpmapper.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1021015 kilobytes memory)
4 passes, 3665 bytes.
Compiling:pjdmapper.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1021000 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 1867 bytes.
Compiling:wxgmapper.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1021146 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 1777 bytes.
Compiling:gen_factory.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1021124 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 2529 bytes.
Compiling:code_gen.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1020985 kilobytes memory)
4 passes, 241785 bytes.
Compiling:cgmain.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1020773 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 11161 bytes.
Compiling:wxCodeGen.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1020727 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 32742 bytes.
Linking:wxCodeGen.exe
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax133r5/mod/wx.mod/wx.mod/../lib/win32/libwxmsw29u_core.a(corelib_wincmn.o):wincmn.cpp:(.text+0xa0): multiple definition of `wxWindowBase::IsEnabled() const'
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax133r5/mod/wx.mod/wxstatictext.mod/wxstatictext.release.win32.x86.a(glue.cpp.release.win32.x86.o):glue.cpp:(.text$_ZNK12wxWindowBase9IsEnabledEv[__ZNK12wxWindowBase9IsEnabledEv]+0x0): first defined here
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax133r5/mod/wx.mod/wx.mod/../lib/win32/libwxmsw29u_core.a(corelib_wincmn.o):wincmn.cpp:(.text+0xd50): multiple definition of `wxWindowBase::SetMaxSize(wxSize const&)'
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax133r5/mod/wx.mod/wxstatictext.mod/wxstatictext.release.win32.x86.a(glue.cpp.release.win32.x86.o):glue.cpp:(.text$_ZN12wxWindowBase10SetMaxSizeERK6wxSize[__ZN12wxWindowBase10SetMaxSizeERK6wxSize]+0x0): first defined here

it goes on for many lines. I can emial the whole output to you if that helps.

Cheers
Glenn

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#15]
just checked the source to my own wxmax program and i am getting the same sort of errors.
I might do another clean install and see what happens.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#16]
The other question then is... what version of BlitzMax are you on?

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#17]
C:/Program Files/BlitzMax133r5

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#18]
everything busy rebuilding now. will check again in a few hours...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#19]
Then the only other likely problem (that I can think of) is the version of MinGW...

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#20]
damn.
Compiling:glue.cpp
Compiling:common.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1018559 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 571 bytes.
Compiling:wxchecklistbox.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (1018603 kilobytes memory)
error: write failed.
Build Error: Failed to assemble C:/Program Files/BlitzMax133r5/mod/wx.mod/wxchecklistbox.mod/.bmx/wxchecklistbox.bmx.debug.win32.x86.s
Process complete

I will start the rebuild again.

minGW 5.1.3

Glenn Dodd(Posted 2009) [#21]
False alarm on my part. a complete rebuild and all working now. i must have done only build modules since the static libs updates.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#22]
Yay!! :-)

Glad to know it's working again.