Bah.Database Query with variables

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Bah.Database Query with variables

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#1]
Now, I'm certain this has been answered but my brain is cooked and I can't find it.

Anyway, I need to be able to execute queries with variables. For example:

testname = "Alfred"

query = db.executeQuery("SELECT * from person WHERE forename = testname")

...which does not work. Help?

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Are these BlitzMax variables? If so you should try
db.executeQuery("SELECT * from person WHERE forename = " + testname)

Have I misunderstood the question?

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#3]
You got the question right and testname is a BlitzMax variable. I tried your suggestion before. SQLite gives an error:

(3) Error preparing statement : no such column: Alfred :

I'm looking at the sample code about prepared queries and bindValue. That may be the answer to this but I am having trouble getting my head around it.

Retimer(Posted 2009) [#4]
I'm thinking you need to put quotes or apostrophes between the name for the query, otherwise it seeks a similar-named table/column, which is why you're getting that result back....

db.executeQuery("SELECT * from person WHERE forename = '" + testname + "'")

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#5]
Excellent! Thanks for the help. By the way, this works to...

query.prepare("SELECT * from person where forename = ?")
query.bindValue(0, TDBString.Set(testname))
query.execute()

...but your suggestion is MUCH better.

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#6]
...but your suggestion is MUCH better.

Well, it depends on what you want out of the code. Prepared statements have their own uses - including being faster once prepared and more secure.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#7]
Good to know DavidDC, thanks for the tip.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
but your suggestion is MUCH better

No it's not. :-p

What about encoding the string? What if you have a ' in the text you add to the SQL string?
... WHERE surname = 'O'Donnell' ...

Using prepared statements avoids this issue, as the parameters are not inlined with the SQL text itself.
Since my day-job involves working with large databases, it's obvious to me as to the benefits of using prepared statements. If you intend to run the same query over-and-over, it's certainly something worth considering - even if it's a static query, which doesn't have any variable parameters.

Just my two cents... :-)

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#9]
Just curious, is there any way to use Bah.Database to query information from the WMI database? I've been using a workaround in the form of a purebasic DLL to get this job done. It works well enough, but the ideal solution would be to query WMI direct from BMax without requiring the external DLL.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#10]
Interesting... I hadn't heard of it before.

wmaass(Posted 2009) [#11]
Brucey,

Ok, I'm convinced :)

Fortunately, the data in my database is very small and its contents are completely controlled by me. Still, I will at some point use the prepared statement approach - don't like loose ends.

kenshin(Posted 2009) [#12]
Interesting...

Yeah, it's pretty handy for finding out all sorts of info about the host Windows PC. You can get volumes of useful stuff from it. I am using it to provide a comprehensive 'system information' window in my program.

Oh well, apologies for the ot interruption wmaass