wxmax exe compile size

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxmax exe compile size

skn3(Posted 2009) [#1]
Lo first of thanks for the excellent module, finally have a chance to play with it on a working laptop! Been wanting to for ages!

I have got everything setup and tried compiling the "hello world" app. I am fine with a large executable size I was just wondering if 3 meg for hello world is the norm?

Is there any way to reduce this (aside from UPX)?

Anyway off I go to have a play round.

plash(Posted 2009) [#2]
Framework, and only importing what you use.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
I am fine with a large executable size I was just wondering if 3 meg for hello world is the norm?

There's a lot of library in there. I've designed it so that you will have as little as you need - which is why there are so many "modules". But there is a "core" which you'll always be using.

However, as you fill your app with more code, you'll find the size doesn't increase significantly.
Obviously, the more different controls you use, the bigger it will get.

And of course, it's not just GUI... there are a lot of other very useful things available.

I know it's not as "light" as MaxGUI, but what you lose in size, you gain in functionality :-p

skn3(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yeah I have had a look its pretty damn sweet!

You get my vote for president!

xlsior(Posted 2009) [#5]
Framework, and only importing what you use.

wxmax still has a very hefty base size -- 3 MB is about as small as it'll get if you use it in an app.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
Given that the static libs amount to around 35 meg... I think 3 isn't too bad for a basic app.

I'm happy to take a that hit for the ease of cross-platform portability! :-)

skn3(Posted 2009) [#7]
3 meg aint bad, if you UPX it (or similar) then you get an executable size of 1 meg.

Russell(Posted 2009) [#8]
Besides, if you're using wx, you're probably not going to be writing "Hello World" programs anyways. And as Brucey said, the size does not increase exorbitantly with additional controls/features.

For cross-platformability, it's worth the hit, IMHO. :)

Russell