wxMax on wxWidgets 2.8.9

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxMax on wxWidgets 2.8.9

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've recently started the build/port process to 2.8.9.
A bit late, but hey ;-)

Since my recently Update of Ubuntu to 8.10 and its new gcc, I thought I would start there.

Already it has thrown up a surprise on GTK, which was not present in previous versions :
Run the listctrl sample, and quit. Oops. Exception is thrown.
Apparently some events are now being fired AFTER the window object is destroyed...

Either :
1) This is a wxWidgets bug.
2) This is a wxWidgets bug because of changed functionality in newer GTK.
3) I should be disconnecting all event handlers when the window is freed.

Okay, I admit that perhaps option 3 is most obviously the correct answer, but this is a new issue - it never happened on any platform until now.
I have a fix (read hack) which simply chooses to ignore raised events for handlers which have been freed...

Fun fun.

The rollout may take a little longer than previously estimated ;-)

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#2]
I'm siding with 3! Is it possible to provide us with a manual Disconnect method as well?

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2009) [#3]
'upgrading' is always great fun!

Good luck with that m8 :)

plash(Posted 2009) [#4]
The next BlitzMax release will be a beast..
Hopefully everything will work with the newer MinGW and threading without many changes to existing code.

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
...and threading...

I believe there's an inherent issue with wxWidgets and the new GC - I think perhaps the wxWidgets libs would require to be built with the new GC in order to work properly with it - and even then, I cannot guarantee that would in fact work.

However, in the meantime, I can tidy up some of the issues I'm having with things under gcc 4.3.x ... *sigh*

The new MinGW doesn't change any ABI's? It should be okay.

Is it possible to provide us with a manual Disconnect method as well?

Once I work out *how*... sure. :-)

Ole JR(Posted 2009) [#6]
Just a note.

Had a go compiling the (old) 2.8.8 release on Ubuntu 8.10.
And get the same crash...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
They are planning to release 2.9.0 in February... Ack!

Maybe I should push through the update to 2.8.9 ... or wait until 2.9.0 - although I'm a bit worried about all the new stuff that'll be appearing in 2.9 - and all the changes I'll have to make to the code...

Perhaps, if I get 2.8.9 out... then do a release... at least that way we'll have something stable before it all breaks ;-)