Qt 4.5 under LGPL - something for Brucey? ;-)

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Qt 4.5 under LGPL - something for Brucey? ;-)

Winni(Posted 2009) [#1]
I've just read that - thanks to Nokia's financial muscle - the forthcoming Qt 4.5 will also be released under the LGPL. On the Mac, it comes with full Cocoa (and 64-Bit) support, and even Core Animation is included. Sounds to good to be true.

So... How about a Cute BlitzMax?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#2]
Welcome back :-)

You mean, like this?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#3]
However... perhaps a "native" Qt wrap might be nice...

Winni(Posted 2009) [#4]
Yeah, I was fantasizing about something like wxMax... QtMax, CutieMax, something like that. I was sold on the Core Animation support, and since I still don't want to go anywhere near Objective-C or any other curly-braces-pointer-low-level-language... Well, you get the idea. But on the other hand, wxMax with a Cocoa-backend and with wrappers for some of those fancy Apple-toys would do the same trick, I think.

By the way, and a little off topic: I'm currently listening to Metaltome on RadioBaH. Cool app! :)

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
I'm kind of considering something along the lines of a "community" project - rather than doing *another one* by myself.

But I dunno how much, if any, support it would be likely to get...

Do we really need another full GUI toolkit?

Winni(Posted 2009) [#6]
Well, I don't think that there is a need for this on the Linux and Windows platforms. But OS X screams for a Cocoa back-end, and I don't know if wxWidgets is making any progress on that front at all.

I've seen that Qt and SWT have now working 64-Bit Cocoa ports and that even REALbasic has announced Cocoa support for the middle of 2009. It seems as if Apple successfully killed Carbon.

DreamLoader(Posted 2009) [#7]
Just focus on CEGUI

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#8]
WxMax and CEGUI cover largely every needs I can have in the GUI field.
I'm rather thinking like DreamLoader since GUI wrapping is a huge amount of work.