Volumes

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Volumes

siread(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hi Brucey. I've been using the volumes mod in NSS4 and love the simplicity of it. Now it may be totally unrelated to this module but I seem to be getting some problems from users that are running 64-bit Windows or foreign language versions of Windows.

Basically when they first start my game it will create a save folder... GetUserDocumentsDir()+"/New Star Soccer 4/"

For some users the game shuts down immediately and the save folder never gets created. So I'm trying to track down if it crashes before creating save location or after failing to create it. Basically once the save folder is created it stores a Settings.ini file in there. Without said file the game will crash.

So I'm wondering if you or anyone else has successfully used the volumes locale on a 64-bit or a foreign windows machine?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
I think "foreign" is more likely to be an issue than 64bit (probably).
Especially if there are non-ascii characters in the path. BlitzMax has failings when it comes to Unicode paths.
I'm not sure how the path will appear if is has non-ascii characters in it, although Volumes should be able to retrieve it okay (it is calling the "W"-wide API, and using FromWString to store it before passing it back).

Your issue may be with the BlitzMax file-handling code, which could be choking on the potential > 127 characters.

Maybe :-)

Tachyon(Posted 2008) [#3]
You are correct, Brucey- I use your Volumes mod too (thank you!) and yes, Cyrillic characters in someone's username will break it. So far I've only seen this break with Windows, but if it's a BlitzMax problem then I guess it would break on any OS.

I would *love* a fix! ;)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
It may well be worth looking into this properly - for general file access.

Looks like I may have found my "holiday" project :-)

Artemis(Posted 2008) [#5]
Hi Brucey,

I also had a look at this mod and I found out that your windows routines to get the volumes are not perfect meaning that they don't get every volume connected to the pc.

If you go to your Control Panel and then to "Administration Tools" (provided that you have the classical control panel style) and then to "Computer Management". An if you go there to the option "Disk Management" there you can remove the device letter and just mount the device in an empty folder (eg. on your desktop) like on linux (or mac?). And if this is the case your volume routines do not find this device.

So I made a little research an quickly found a way to get this too. Besides my little demo shows that it can also handle mutiple mount points like to folders or a letter and a folder.

I made a little demo to show you how it works. Maybe you can implement it in your module.

Before I forget to mention it it uses the unicode winapi functions (ending with W) for all string things.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
Thanks Artemis :-)

I'll have a look at fitting into the framework. Much appreciated!

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#7]
One thing it doesn't find are any of my network drives... (Q -> Z)... it is only showing A, C and D... so I guess I should implement some of what I have now, and some of this...

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#8]
Okay... this seems to work quite well now :
Volumes :
	  -  A:\ (FAT) -  1mb
	  -  C:\ (NTFS) -  20500mb
	  -  D:\ () -  0mb
	  -  Q:\ () -  0mb
	  -  R:\ () -  0mb
	  -  S:\ () -  0mb
	Shared Folders  -  T:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  U:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  V:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  W:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  X:\ (PrlSF) -  196257mb
	Shared Folders  -  Y:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  Z:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb

A, C and D and found with your Volume search code, as above, and then I use GetLogicalDrives() to scan for driver letters, and add to the returned list if they aren't already in the list.

This is the same list, but only showing "available" volumes
Volumes :
	  -  A:\ (FAT) -  1mb
	  -  C:\ (NTFS) -  20500mb
	Shared Folders  -  T:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  U:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  V:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  W:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  X:\ (PrlSF) -  196257mb
	Shared Folders  -  Y:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb
	Shared Folders  -  Z:\ (PrlSF) -  12624mb

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
While I've been updating it for Unicode friendliness, I've also added three new Custom folder types, for Mac and Windows.

Pictures (My Pictures), Movies (My Videos) and Music (My Music).

Accessible via the GetCustomDir:string(dirType:int) function. See docs for dirType consts.

degac(Posted 2009) [#10]
I just looking for a possible solution for a my problem and I remembered your Volume module.
Well - I have a new challenge for you Brucey!

On my Ubuntu machine (localized in italian...) something is not working properly...[maybe this is already known!]

This is a piece of your own code for vol_linux.bmx
	Method GetUserDesktopDir:String()
		Return getHome() + "/Desktop" ' <--- this is NORMAL in english
	End Method

Method GetUserAppDir:String()
		Return getHome()
	End Method

Method GetUserDocumentsDir:String()
		Return getHome() + "/Documents" ' <--- this is NORMAL in english
	End Method

The italian version doesnt' recognize properly DESKTOP or DOCUMENTS - they are called respectely SCRIVANIA and DOCUMENTI...

This is a test

Import bah.volumes
Local user_path:String=GetUserAppDir()
Local docs_path:String=GetUserDocumentsDir()
Local desktop_path:String=GetUserDesktopDir()
Print "Desktop is "+desktop_path
Print "User       "+user_path
Print "Docs       "+docs_path
Print
Print "---- testing ----"
Print
WriteTest(desktop_path)
WriteTest(user_path)
WriteTest(docs_path)
End
Function WriteTest(where$)
Print "Try to write a file to <"+where+">"
Local fileID:TStream=WriteFile(where+"/test.txt")
Local fileIN:TStream

If fileID
	WriteLine fileID,"something..."
	CloseFile fileID

Print "Try to read it!!!"

fileIN=ReadFile(where+"/test.txt")
	If fileIN
		While Not Eof(fileIN)
			Print ReadLine(fileIN)
		Wend
		CloseFile fileIN
	End If
Else
	Print "Error - file not found!"
End If
End Function 

I got this output

Building untitled2
Compiling:untitled2.bmx
flat assembler version 1.67.36 (32768 kilobytes memory)
3 passes, 4369 bytes.
Linking:untitled2.debug
Executing:untitled2.debug
Desktop is /home/degac/Desktop
User /home/degac
Docs /home/degac/Documents

---- testing ----

Try to write a file to </home/degac/Desktop>
Error - file not found!
Try to write a file to </home/degac>
Try to read it!!!
something...
Try to write a file to </home/degac/Documents>
Error - file not found!

Process complete

The question is: Is there a way to retrieve the REAL NAME of these folders? And use where needed?