BaH.Cairo - Updated

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/BaH.Cairo - Updated

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
Finally got around to a new release of the Cairo module - (1.22)

Notes for this version :
* Cairo upgrade to 1.8.4
* Removal of fontconfig dependency on Win32 and Mac.
* Removed Stroke() call from ShowText().
* Added fill rule consts.

The biggest change is the removal of the Fontconfig dependency. This should mean there are less major issues using it on Windows and Mac. The "problem" with fontconfig is that it likes to search your system and cache all fonts. This can take a long while, the first time. Sure, it's also a great tool for fonts in general, but one must weigh up the good and the bad.
So, I've dropped it as a requirement, and implemented my own basic font loading routines, which should allow you to use a font filename without a path.

Also, the "engine" has been updated to 1.8.4, which improves speed, bug fixes, etc...

On Linux, it still uses the system-supplied Cairo/fontconfig/Pango/GTK etc., so business as usual there :-)

One other note. I've moved the download to the Maxmods GoogleCode area, as I continue the migration to there.

Enjoy!

:o)

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#2]
Great ! I will try it because I have get issues with fontconfig on my previous projects.

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#3]
I have an error when I tried to compile cairo module on Bmax 1.30 + vista :
glue.cpp not found

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#4]
The Cairo module doesn't require glue.cpp ... ??

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#5]
If you comment out/remove the line at the bottom of source.bmx, which says
Import "glue.cpp"

It should work.

No idea how that got in there... guess I need to review my release procedure... :-s

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#6]
Apologies.... updated now to 1.22 - which fixes the problem.

* geeky tech comment to follow *

Seems "svn export" doesn't export only HEAD, but also any local changes - which I obviously hadn't realised at the time. So now I need to make sure when I export, that I have HEAD only.. and not any follow-up modifications. (I suppose in some way that makes sense - make the cut before continuing)...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2009) [#7]
Working perfectly !
Only one thing, the test1.pdf that come with the module is good while running the associated pdf_output_1.bmx I get an additional red line from the text to the circle red.
Is this normal ?
I don't care using pdf, was just curious ^^

sebas76(Posted 2009) [#8]
Yes it works fine, Thanks !

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#9]
A new release (1.23

This updates Cairo to the latest stable : 1.8.8 (and pixman 0.17.2)
Built and tested on Win32 and Mac before release (both appeared to work as expected)

I'm considering moving over to unstable 1.9.4 now, which is the branch WIP for the next stable release of 1.10.
This has added support for an OpenGL backend renderer, which could be a significant step forward (speed-wise) for rendering in BlitzMax (Max2D, etc).

It does, of course, already support direct rendering to Pixmaps (with both text, shapes and images, beautifully anti-aliased :-p )

theHand(Posted 2009) [#10]
I say keep it stable. Less headaches for you. :)
The glitz OpenGL backend will probably do until they have improved the newer OpenGL backend.

No idea what I was thinking.
Let's help them test it! :)

Space_guy(Posted 2010) [#11]
How would one disable the opengl requirement for the module?
Im designing a gui in WinPE and when I launch an exe with cairo it crashes with warning about opengl that doesnt exist in that version of windows.