For the curious... (google client)

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/For the curious... (google client)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
Well, I did have a looksee at the code in the end ;-)

Of interest are the custom build tools, which need to be used instead of the standard g++ etc.
Obviously bmk doesn't support this as standard. However I think my NG version should be able to handle it after a few tweaks. Might be interesting... just to see.

There's certainly some nice browser-interaction apis in there, which could be fun.

oh well...

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#2]
Hu ? I don't get it ^^
Like what ?

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
*Ahem*

simonh said: Brucey: no, feel free to go ahead. This thread wasn't a statement of intent from BRL, just a personal 'ooh cool' thread.

Space_guy(Posted 2008) [#4]
After realising what this is, Im very hopeful :)

jkrankie(Posted 2008) [#5]
This would be really cool if it could work with Blitzmax. I'm assuming that this will work a little like OSA kit and igloader, only people would actually download the plugin as it's from google.

Cheers
Charlie

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#6]
Definitely sounds very interesting if Blitzmax would work with it...

MGE(Posted 2008) [#7]
"This would be really cool if it could work with Blitzmax. I'm assuming that this will work a little like OSA kit and igloader, only people would actually download the plugin as it's from google."

Holy crap...where have I been? This sounds like a very useful tool for the blitzmax community, maybe we should start a donation up just for this project so Brucey can get a little bit of cash as well for taking this on?

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#8]
Is your idea more doing something like OSA Kit or it is about loggin inside google account in order to use google services ?
I must have miss one topic somewhere...

xlsior(Posted 2008) [#9]
Is your idea more doing something like OSA Kit or it is about loggin inside google account in order to use google services ?

Google announced a project that would allow you to run straight x86 code through a browser with a plugin installed... Kind of like a sandbox for .exe's.
So it would 'just' be a matter of people downloading the google plugin, after which the browser can run a sandboxed .exe that follows a couple of rules.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#10]
As predicted, it didn't take long to get everything compiling using the framework...

But of course if it seems too good to be true, it probably is ;-)
So now I want to get the final exe building using Google's toolchain, and see what happens, since their exes are not the same as mine.
It may end up that in fact everything needs to be built using their toolchain, as opposed to the built-in one, but we'll see. Hope not!

markcw(Posted 2008) [#11]
Google will larn you. :)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#12]
@xlsior
Thanks ! I wasn't aware of that news maybe I sleep in a cave or something last few days ^^
This is very promising then ! I would love to write my new portfolio in BlitzMax :D

simonh(Posted 2008) [#13]
So what's the status of this? I find your posts quite cryptic at times Brucey...

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#14]
So what's the status of this?

I need to sit down and hack bmk to allow me to choose my own toolchain (which gcc/g++/ld/etc). Then try building it with that.

It builds now, but the binary is not the same (ie. not of the correct format, apparently). Also, when I try to run one of their files outside of the "box", it complains that it is not a valid binary...
...leading me to believe I *need* to use their compiler instead.

The plan is... to tweak my bmk-ng, to be even more flexible.
Once I can pick-and-choose the compiler, I hope it's easier from then on.

jkrankie(Posted 2008) [#15]
if you can pick and choose compiler, does this mean you will be able to build for other hardware platforms? that might be interesting...

Cheers
Charlie

simonh(Posted 2008) [#16]
Blimey, didn't realise it would be such a mission. Well if anyone can, Brucey can...

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#17]
didn't realise it would be such a mission.

Hidden somewhere deep down in the fineprint I think... It's a bit of a hassle, but if it works... cool :-)

If not... well, I suppose it was kinda fun trying.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#18]
sounds interesting I gotta donate some money to your paypal

simonh(Posted 2008) [#19]
Apparently this doesn't work with OpenGL or DirectX. Pity.

slenkar(Posted 2008) [#20]
huh? thats a bit strange, does it allow any kind of images?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#21]
You probably have to blit them to the "canvas" - like GDI.

I'm sure they will implement OpenGL at some point - otherwise it's not really much use for games.

MGE(Posted 2009) [#22]
Any new info regarding this?