plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
Can you, pretty please, wrap G3D?

(No rush!! :P)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
And what's wrong with Irrlicht/miniB3D? :-p

markcw(Posted 2008) [#3]
Can you wrap my laundry too?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
Bit out of my scope, that. However you can perhaps improve efficiency by studying this useful information.

:-)

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
And what's wrong with Irrlicht/miniB3D?
G3D has a different setup than both of those (similar to wxWidgets), which makes it more appealing, to me; G3D has networking built-in (Client>Server LAN discovery, etc), has video input and output, has shader support and a software rendering engine.

It is also only OpenGL, which means you don't have to fuss with different shader formats (dx/ogl), and you don't have to write any specifics for it to work better on windows, etc.

And it actually works with both NVidia and ATI cards (which Leadwerks does not), Titan Quest (commercial) runs fast on my ATI card.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
All seems reasonable. Should I throw in a couple of socks (for Mark) ? ;-)

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
Anyways.. I'm quite content with Irrlicht, just nice to see more options available.

Gabriel(Posted 2008) [#8]
I was actually looking at this the other day, when they released a new version. It's quite low level, so it might not be for everyone, but it's much more coherent than something like Irrlicht or Ogre, which feel like they've been glued together out of several other people's work (which they have, to be fair.)

I was very tempted to have a go at wrapping it myself, but it wouldn't be any time soon, because I just don't have the time. It does appear to be - by far - the most promising solution for people looking for a full-featured, fully cross-platform 3D graphics engine.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
It had previously crossed my radar, but given the number of 3D libs available for BlitzMax I didn't really think it worth the time and effort (say, if two people got around to using it). I don't mind wrapping a small lib that no-one will use, but even I would have to draw the line somewhere ;-)

But if there's enough reasonable interest, I suppose I can have a proper look.

plash(Posted 2008) [#10]
But if there's enough reasonable interest, I suppose I can have a proper look.
Dandy.

I had a look in the past (and more so recently) at your modules, all the necessary conversions to BB* classes, and Max conversions from C++ is beyond my comprehension (as well as all the other standards and vast changes from library to library). I guess I should properly learn C++ before attempting a wrap :P

Zethrax(Posted 2008) [#11]
Well if we're voting on this, I'll stick my hand up as a potential user. It looks like a promising library.

I understand that it would likely be a significant effort to wrap, however.

But then, that's what we keep Brucey And Gabriel around the joint for :-)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#12]
Okay... now I remember why I didn't do this originally... the Win32 build requires MSVC++, so the DLLs will need to be wrapped - which is doable as long as std::string is not passed through the API anywhere...

The other platforms should be okay, although I see mention of SDL - not sure what for.

I'll need to experiment a little before I know it'll work or not (on Win32 - which I'm guessing is the most useful platform for everyone (but me :-p)).
If it does work, I'm up for a more colaborative open-source effort... if anyone else is interested in helping. (likely be hosted on googlecode, coding standards, etc).

:o)

plash(Posted 2008) [#13]
Okay... now I remember why I didn't do this originally... the Win32 build requires MSVC++, so the DLLs will need to be wrapped - which is doable as long as std::string is not passed through the API anywhere...
:/

If it does work, I'm up for a more colaborative open-source effort... if anyone else is interested in helping. (likely be hosted on googlecode, coding standards, etc).
Not much I can do on the C++ end, but I'll bug test what gets implemented, spot errors, etc.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#14]
If it works in the same way as my FBX DLL wrap, then it should be fine :-)

There I used the same c++ glue source to build on both Mac/Linux and MSVC, which meant I didn't have to duplicate anything - always a good thing.

Just need to find some time to play with it...

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#15]
Although a bit off-topic, I have a question that I would consider a crazy request, but you're the only person I can think of that might have an answer.

Brucey, do you know of any libraries for text-to-speech, or better yet, voice-to-text?

plash(Posted 2009) [#16]
Uhhm.. anything sprout out of this?

Brucey(Posted 2009) [#17]
Not as yet... been a bit busy lately :-p

That, and my Mac nxclient (nomachine.com) and Ubuntu 8.10 don't want to display GL any more - which is extremely annoying and disappointing - worked fine on 8.04... *sigh*...

plash(Posted 2009) [#18]
That, and my Mac nxclient (nomachine.com) and Ubuntu 8.10 don't want to display GL any more - which is extremely annoying and disappointing
Y'ouch.

slenkar(Posted 2009) [#19]
a crazy request would be to dip your chest hair in treacle

plash(Posted 2009) [#20]
Thank you for your sensible, contributive post.