Fmod Module - Where to download?

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Fmod Module - Where to download?

Rico(Posted 2008) [#1]
Hello. I am looking for the FMod module because I want to play some mp3 files in one of my programs - I understand that you can do this with FMod. Where can I download it from (for Blitz Max). It is mentioned on Brucey's Modules page, but I don't think I can download it from there (or Can I?) - I couldn't find it.

Thank you - Rico

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
It's currently available via SVN - as there is still some outstanding work to do on it, but it is usable, as is.

If you are desperate for it, I can probably put up the files somewhere.

Rico(Posted 2008) [#3]
Yes please Brucey. Thank you very much.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hi, I've uploaded the current source here : fmod_src.zip

Drop the two modules into bah.mod folder.
To run the examples you'll need to copy the dlls from fmod.mod/lib/win32 into the same dir as the app.

fmod.mod is the base module. fmodaudio.mod is the BRL.Audio driver for it - if you want to use the blitzmax API to play the sounds.

One thing to note with FMOD, is that you will have to call TFMODSystem Update() from time to time to keep it playing - this is different to BASS and irrKlang, which both run in a separate thread. (btw, they can also play mp3s :-)

Rico(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thank you for uploading the module. I didn't realise BASS and IrrKlang could play mp3's too. I might try those after FMod.

Thanks Brucey

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
They all tend to do similar things. Some have more features than others (like support different effects), but they all can play basic sounds/music.

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#7]
imho: Fmod > (bass+irrklang)*10

What all in general is missing from it? I've not run into any problems with your wrapper yet. I've done some sound spectrum and manipulated sound output while steaming to create custom effects, so what exactly is missing that there's no official download link with the rest of the modules; considering both bass and irrklang as far as i'm aware (which isn't very) is not capable of either?

More people should have easy access to this great wrapper!