Google v8 ??

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Google v8 ??

skn3(Posted 2008) [#1]
A bit of a request thread here!

What about an implementation of the new google v8 javascript runtime?

Would be awesome to extend our blitzmax programs with a javascript based scripting language.

http://code.google.com/p/v8/

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
The only caveat is the .cc file extensions that google use for their C++ source.

Your version of BlitzMax doesn't support it yet... ;-)

But yeah, I think this is worth a look.
Might sit nicely with my Google protobuf module.

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
Might sit nicely with my Google protobuf module.
How is that coming, btw?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
well, other than the .cc problem with the current official bmk, good thanks :-)

My latest bmk is kind of... advanced... and I dunno when/if it'll get to a mainstream status. But it completely removes issues regarding file extensions like the .cc thing, since you can build code without requiring an implicit Import statement. It's also scriptable, so you can almost do whatever you want as part of your build. Quite exciting really (for the geeks, I guess) ;-)

skn3(Posted 2008) [#5]
Just had a look at the protobuf stuff. Looks really interesting, the two would go hand in hand!

*shakes his head at his inferior copy of blitzmax*

I like the sound of that BMK! *insert automated project versioning here* :)

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
It's also scriptable
Python, I presume? ;)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#7]
Python, I presume? ;)

Lua :-p

Python, although much more flexible, would require Windows users to have it installed. (You generally get it for free with Mac/Linux).

Just for fun, here is the example post build script I'm using for the irrKlang examples :

Basically, it copies the dlls/shared objects into the dir that the app requires them to be located. (for Mac apps, that would be inside the bundle).
The example shows a function defined, then called later. Also shows calls *into* BlitzMax code from Lua :-)
bmk also supports in-source scripting through the use of a custom pragma... which allows for further customization on a per-file basis if required.