Tooltips/ballon message

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Tooltips/ballon message

plash(Posted 2008) [#1]
(using wxMax) Is there a way to make a message like this, show up anywhere I want?

If not, can we do simple tooltips?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
wxwindow.SetToolTip() will let you add simple tooltips.

wxSimpleHelpProvider *might* let you do those pretty big help bubbles... but I appear to have not finished it yet (I know, shocking, isn't it?!). - and I only say might, as I've obviously not tried it yet.

The stub exists, which means I must have wanted to do it at some point. :-)

But I'm happy you are keeping me on my toes!

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
wxwindow.SetToolTip() will let you add simple tooltips.
Humm.. I'll play with it, ty.

But I'm happy you are keeping me on my toes!
;)

plash(Posted 2008) [#4]
Regular tooltips wont do, as I can't pop them up whenever I want.. now onto wxSimpleHelpProvider.

doh!

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
Yeah, I was half-way through that when you wanted text validation :-p

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
Righty... you might want to try importing wx.wxHelpProvider, and creating yourself an instance of wxSimpleHelpProvider. (Rev 506)

It's untested... I've only checked it compiles up okay.

I'm not even sure what it's meant to do... :-)

plash(Posted 2008) [#7]
Ok, I see no .Popup() or .Show() method.. maybe this isn't what I'm looking for.

I would assume this to work just like a tooltip, no clue what it's for (Google time!)

plash(Posted 2008) [#8]
http://docs.wxwidgets.org/2.6/wx_wxhelpprovider.html

Humm.. that contains a method called wxHelpProvider.ShowHelp() (which isn't in your Max code).. but no real description what its for (I'm stumped).

key_notify = New wxSimpleHelpProvider.Create()
key_notify.AddHelp(text, "test??")
wxHelpProvider.Set(key_notify)

.. still nothing

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#9]
Hmm. It's possible that it's for some context-sensitive help thing instead - which is a bit of a disappointment.

However, I've added a ShowHelp() method, which it seems you can call in order to make the text window appear under the mouse.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#10]
Not sure if you are meant to use it like that though. I think it's meant to be used on windows where you have that "?" button for showing help about certain controls - you click the "?" and your mouse pointer changes to a "?", then you click on a control and up pops some help about it.

But calling ShowHelp() seems to work anyway.

Dunno if that is what you want, mind you.

plash(Posted 2008) [#11]
Dunno if that is what you want
Nope :(
EDIT: Err, kinda, I would rather be able to set a position for it to show up.

I noticed this http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_notification_message.html
but it seems to be "implemented natively only for the Maemo platform"

Still looking...

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
Hey! I think I found it!! http://docs.wxwidgets.org/trunk/classwx_help_controller.html (See DisplayPopupText)

Now if only wxHelpController was implemented.. ;)

EDIT: Hmm, it seems you've implemented the Base type, but how should I create an instance of it? (wxHelpControllerBase)