wxStaticText - transparent backgrounds in XP

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxStaticText - transparent backgrounds in XP

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#1]
In OS X wxStaticText labels automatically use a transparent background on textured panels, but this is not the case in XP.

Searching the wxWidgets forum produced this answer

ie, you override the erase background event and do your own drawing.

Unfortunately, when I check wxEraseEvent, I find no GetDC() - just a commented out bit of code

Rem
	bbdoc: Returns the device context associated with the erase event to draw on.
	End Rem
'	Method GetDC:_wxDC()
'	End Method

What does this mean Brucey? You haven't implemented it, or we are meant to use another method?

ta!

David

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
I've moved wxEraseEvent from wx to wxwindow, since it requires wxDC access.

You should be able to catch wxEVT_ERASE_BACKGROUND events now, all being well, etc :-)

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#3]
Thanks Brucey :-) The event is being caught OK but I'm afraid I'm stuck for a solution.

If anyone's interested in having a tinker - here's a little test bed with pretty much every solution I found online in it - none of which seem to work. Which, interestingly, is what each solution said of the others!

Thanks,

David

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
Works on Mac! ;-)

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
How's about this :

Kind of avoids the issue by painting the appropriate bitmap section before drawing text on top of it.

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#6]
So EraseBackground wasn't needed in the end at all! I'm amazed at how many different solutions were out there - but I didn't see that one!

Thanks so much Brucey :-)

[Edit] I've cleaned up the above code and posted it below for the benefit of those also stuck on this issue.

Nigel Brown(Posted 2009) [#7]
Thanks for this, working with a splash box so only need to extend the wxStaticText type. Now .Wrap() no longer works? and this example takes no notice of foreground text colour etc... Anyone feel like fixing it!

DavidDC(Posted 2009) [#8]
Well the colour part should be easy:
dc.SetTextForeground(GetForegroundColour())

The wrap might have to be done manually though.