Chipmunk vs. Box2D

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Chipmunk vs. Box2D

SSS(Posted 2008) [#1]
For the past month or so I've been working on a game using the Chipmunk mod. However, with the release of Box2D I have to ask the question: given that I have been working on a game for some time now is a) Box2D better than Chipmunk and b) is Box2D better enough that it warrents ripping out and replacing the physics in my game.

Thanks

Retimer(Posted 2008) [#2]
Do a benchmark for your work and you'll get a better answer then anyone here can provide.

Unless you're getting glitches and/or slow performance, then it probobly isn't even worth exploring if you are that far into your project.

Space_guy(Posted 2008) [#3]
Id say box2d is both nicer and more complex to work with. you have to deal with alot of classes in box2d and i have the feeling chipmunk is easier to start with. I built a gameengine too heavily arround chipmunk and i really have to rewrite alot to get back to where i was. Im somewhere in the middle now. I got the bascis of what i need done but starting to think if its worth all that time to switch or just go on with chipmunk.

Anyhow, if your early in your project then you should probbably switch. otherwise it all depends on your motivation.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#4]
a) Yes
b) Yes

Box2d is the great father of Chipmunk.
If you like bouncy object (restitution) then switch to Box2d since Chipmunk is buggy with those.
For the rest just check into others Box2d related topic, I've often make a comparison between box2d and Chipmunk since i've used both.

I wouldn't even think about using Chipmunk anymore :)

SSS(Posted 2008) [#5]
Thanks guys. So far I don't feel constrained by Chipmunk as far as features go so it would primarily be for speed that I would switch. I might release a stress test to see how the performance varies. If it's working on most machines as is then I probably wont switch, otherwise I will though.