Audio Drivers

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Audio Drivers

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
Wouldn't it be nice if you could do this?
SetAudioDriver("FMOD")

Local sound:TSound = LoadSound("drumloop.wav")

PlaySound(sound)

Kind of like a BlitzMax Audio Driver that transparently uses FMOD under-the-hood...

Of course, once you have FMOD working down there you might want to do :
SetAudioDriver("FMOD")

Local sound:TSound = LoadSound("verylongtrack.ogg", FMOD_CREATESTREAM)

PlaySound(sound)

And... once you can do it with FMOD, what's to stop you trying :
SetAudioDriver("BASS")

Local sound:TSound = LoadSound("drumloop.wav")

PlaySound(sound)

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#2]
I think it's a fabulous idea.

popcade(Posted 2008) [#3]
SetAudioDriver("SDL-mixer")
SetAudioDriver("irrKlang")

.... please

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
irrKlang I'll have a look at.

Don't really want to go near SDL if I can help it. It's a pain to set up on the Mac for developing.

re irrKlang. Is it not a highly rated sound engine? Not many posts here about it at all.
Or is it the fact that it's a C++ API?

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#5]
SetAudioDriver("irrKlang")

Is working now :-)

Still WIP as I tidy up/finish the modules (and only available via SVN til they are ready), but it's playing fine so far.
A wee example :

Since irrKlang defaults to multi-threading, you don't need to poll for update like you do with FMOD, which is nice.

If you intend trying this before release, please see this post for a tweak required for BRL.Audio to allow these audio drivers to play sounds properly.

plash(Posted 2008) [#6]
Awesome.

Although BASS has a much more elegant license. It costs 100 euros for BASS' shareware license (the product must cost 80 euros or less). On a irrKlang shareware license you have to pay 390 euros to get the same (its 145 euros for a limit of 25 euros on the product - though I don't know which is better, so irrKlang might be worth it).

But very good if your doing a free project!

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#7]
Yeah, I've still to sort out the BASS audio driver, which will bring it up to 3 of them hopefully.