Opening a wxFileDialog from within a wxDialog

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Opening a wxFileDialog from within a wxDialog

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#1]
I'm trying to get a wxFileDialog to open in response to a button click within a modal wxDialog.

In OSX, the code below seems to work, although the wxDialogs need to be wxSTAY_ON_TOP for some reason.

But in XP and Vista, I can't get it to work at all. Any help/ideas really, really appreciated :-)

Code below opens a test file dialog. Then, in response to both dialog's button clicks, another file dialog should open .

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
You might find this thread quite interesting :

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.soft-sys.wxwindows/browse_thread/thread/1a11027b13a41fcb/176bf086fd1ce389?lnk=raot

Specifically the very long post from April 16.

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#3]
Hey Brucey :-)

Mmmm thanks for this - but I'm not sure what to make of it all I confess...

It seems to be saying that I can fix the wxSTAY_ON_TOP issue with OSX modal dialogs by performing the equivalent of:

OSStatus err = ChangeWindowAttributes((WindowRef)m_macWindow,  
kWindowHideOnSuspendAttribute, 0); 

Trouble is a) I don't know how to do this in wxMax (I can't find a ChangeWindowAttributes() Method?) and b) My issue in this instance is actually regarding Win32 rather than OS X, which seemed to be what the linked thread was all about.

Simply put - still stuck! :-)

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#4]
Hang on - this is interesting... bordering on amusing. Wrapping the wxFileDialog within a wxDialog seems to circumvent the issue! ie

Type TDummyFileDialog Extends wxDialog

Field FileDialog:wxFileDialog

Method OnInit()

'	Open up a file requester 
		FileDialog = New wxFileDialog.Create(Self, "File dialog 1: Parent is the wxFrame",Null,Null, "*.*", wxFD_OPEN|wxFD_DEFAULT_STYLE)

If FileDialog.ShowModal() <>  wxID_OK Then DebugLog "User selected cancel from the file dialog"	

End Method
End Type

see following code for demo:

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#5]
Surprise, surprise - the above hack is unreliable (to put it politely).

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#6]
Righty...

You'll need to update to the latest wxMax for this stuff...

This is your original code as posted at the top with some additions, based on the thread I linked to previously.
Notably, the dialogs now override ShowModal :
	Method ShowModal()
		HIWindowChangeClass(MacGetWindowRef(), 4);
		Super.ShowModal()
	End Method

"4" is kMovableModalWindowClass.

And for HIWindowChange you need to add :
Extern
	Function HIWindowChangeClass:Int(handle:Byte Ptr, style:Int)
End Extern

Now the windows appear to handle modality in a more expected way.
However, the close/min/max buttons are now disabled. But then, a Modal dialog tends to work a bit differently to a normal document window, so this may not be a problem. (there may well be a way to re-enable those in flags).

See how you get on with that...

:o)

DavidDC(Posted 2008) [#7]
Well here's a big yay! from me as you've managed to solve a different os x bug that's been bothering me for ages. Your new ShowModal() override means I no longer have to use wxSTAY_ON_TOP on osx wxDialogs.

The sharky fin of the win32 wxFileDialog issue is however, still out there. Circling...