YAFM

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/YAFM

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
Yet Another FMOD Module...

New in the MaxMods SVN repository is an WIP FMOD module, based on FMOD Ex 4.14.01

I thought I might as well have a go at this one while I was wrapping BASS, since they perform similar functions.

The API quite closely matches the C++ API, in that there are System, Sound, Channel etc classes. If you don't like an OOP-style API and prefer passing pointers around, then perhaps the community FMOD project is more for you :-)

Otherwise, this module aims to make it a much more BlitzMax code-style affair, with as little of the underlying pointer-based API revealed as possible.

There are currently 6 examples ported, and are running well on both OS X and Win32. Linux will have to wait for now as my Linux box is currently in a cardboard box somewhere.

API wise, I think FMOD feels a little more intuitive to program, although it's much harder to wrap :-p

As per the BASS module, on OS X, you will need to copy the .dylib into the Application bundle for your app to run. On Win32, just copy the dll into the app folder.

:o)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#2]
This will probably be a very useful Module for sound designer dev :)

Hopefully there is license for indie (100$ USD per product) cause i was like "oh my !!" when i see 3000$ or 6000$ for commercial stuff ^^
Same stuff for BASS.

Personally i will probably stick with the BlitzMax built-in sound support for "budget reasons" ^^ Though it's still possible to use it for Non-Commercial project.

Thanks for this module Brucey.

By the way ? Are you working on a specific project?
Cause you have done so many great modules for the moment that i wonder why ^^

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
By the way ? Are you working on a specific project?

Nothing in particular, but it leaves my options wide open when I do get around to apps/games.

The modules are just a large toolkit which I can delve into when I need something, so it's better to have too many tools than not enough :-)
For example, for a database manager app I'm playing with, I can take Libxml, dbsqlite and wxMax, amongst others.

I find sitting down and writing games harder though, as you really need to plan everything down to the very last detail before you kind of get started. And I'm not very good at that. I prefer to make things up as I go.
Which is why I have a tower-defense style game half-finished, but still needing multi-player/audio integrated... oh well... :-)

Armitage 1982(Posted 2008) [#4]
Interesting point of view.
It's also very benefit to the BlitzMax community !

And seriously if you think having difficulties about planing things for writing games i'm wondering if i ever finish one then :D
Hopefully it's probably a problem that we all sharing around here (well most of us ^^). The key is probably perseverance.