Fishing for BASS

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Fishing for BASS

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#1]
In a break from our current programming schedule, and for want of a faster computer, I've knocked together a BASS module (BaH.Bass), which is currently residing in the MaxMods SVN repository.

It's a bit different from the others I've seen, in that it is more OOP-based, rather than just being a straight API wrap.
So, if you want to code the API as you see it in the BASS documentation, you may wish to stick with someone else's.

The module(s) have been written on OS X and then back-ported (haw) to Windows, which involved a couple of Extern tweaks.
Alas, there is no BASS for Linux at the moment, which means there's no BASS module for Linux :-(

There are several examples, showing the playing of various formats : mp3 (incbin mem stream / via TStream), mod (from file).

Haven't tested everything yet, but it seems to be heading in the right direction so far.

BASS FX add-on.

This is another module (BaH.Bass_FX), which adds realtime DSP processing to your audio.
Not as complete as the main Module, but there's an example showing the application of a couple of effects on a playing mod (echo and phaser).

I hope to be adding support for all of the dual-platform add-ons over time.

How to run the examples
On Windows, you'll need to copy the DLL which resides in the module lib/win32 folder, into the same folder as the app.

On OS X, for a GUI app, the dylib, which resides in lib/macos, needs to be copied into the application's .app/Content/MacOS folder. For a console app, it just needs to be in the same folder as the app.
It would be nice if the IDE could let you set up your application bundles properly.... ho hum

plash(Posted 2008) [#2]
The only problem with BASS for indies is the price tag for commercial apps/games :/

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#3]
Much cheaper than FMOD though.