WX compile static libs

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/WX compile static libs

matty47(Posted 2008) [#1]
In an attempt to get wx.mod to work on my Ubuntu system I downloaded the wxwidgets source (2.8.7) and tried a make with the following configure
"configure --disable-shared --enable-unicode --enable-postscript --with-opengl"
after the make the libs were created ok except a separate expat lib. Would you please post the configure options??
I did an ldd on the previous bmax compiled samples and all libraries seem to be present except linux-gate.so.1. Maybe it's not needed as some of the samples run.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#2]
Standard settings look something like this :
./configure --enable-unicode --with-opengl --enable-graphics_ctx --disable-shared --with-expat=builtin

I've currently stayed away from "--enable-mediactrl", since it means GStreamer is then an extra requirement... although in the future it would be nice to have it - for embedded video support etc.
Mac and Win32 have it enabled, but I've not implemented that functionality yet.

plash(Posted 2008) [#3]
Did this work for you in the end matty?

I get a bunch of errors if I try to compile the source with gcc 4.1, in gcc 3.3 it wont even configure.

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#4]
What kind of errors?

Remember you'll need all the appropriate dev libraries installed too :-)

plash(Posted 2008) [#5]
In gcc3.3 I get this at the end of configure: "configure: error: no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH"

I had it configured under gcc4.1 but now everything is messed up, if i reinstall gcc4.1 it will still say "no acceptable C compiler found in $PATH".

matty47(Posted 2008) [#6]
I did get the wx static libs to compile and moved these into the mod/lib directory, replacing the ones that I had downloaded. However when I tried to compile the module I ended up with a lot of linking errors. Funny but the static libs I downloaded from google code worked OK in the makemods compilation it's just that I get errors when I try to run some of the examples after compiling apps in blitzmax. Don't seem to have any problems on windoze. At the moment I'm at a standstill
Matthew

Brucey(Posted 2008) [#7]
Once I get settled back in the UK (assuming the ship doesn't sink on the way), I'll see about getting a gcc3.x and gcc4.x build working.
I still don't understand why the Linux build is expecting gcc3.3, since it's quite old these days - I'm sure all current Linux distros are shipping with 4.x.

matty47(Posted 2008) [#8]
See my other thread (76726) about compiling. You can remove gcc3.3 and symlink to gcc4.xx and Blitzmax will use the new compiler. As stated above I can make wx.mod using the downloaded static libs and create an application using wx.mod. It's just that some of the applications fail with runtime errors and hog cpu and memory so that I have to use sytem manager to kill the application.
Matthew

plash(Posted 2008) [#9]
some of the applications fail with runtime errors and hog cpu and memory so that I have to use sytem manager to kill the application.

I'm pretty sure thats an issue with the ide/bmk/bcc.

plash(Posted 2008) [#10]
What exactly did you link it to?

Perhaps this:
ln -s gcc-4.x gcc-3.3
?

matty47(Posted 2008) [#11]
I have gcc 4.1 installed so the link was to it. I actually made the link running nautilus as root (ie graphically) but in the console this would be done by
"sudo ln -s /usr/bin/gcc-4.1 /usr/bin/gcc-3.3"
I think.
MAke sure that you have uninstalled the gcc-3.3 package and change the version you are linking to to what you actually have installed.
Matthew

plash(Posted 2008) [#12]
Awesome, that worked. (I also did a symlink to g++4.1)

I haven't tried all of the examples yet, but the aui example closes with "appstub.linux signal handler 11".