[Solved] BRL.Max2D SDL Equivalent

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/[Solved] BRL.Max2D SDL Equivalent

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#1]
Still learning how to switch from BRL to SDL Max2D drivers and setup. I have a module that uses

Import BRL.Max2D

and I was wondering what is the equivalent import to SDL that works.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#2]
Not sure what problems you're having but according to Brucey:

For graphics, you can choose to use either sdl.gl2sdlmax2d, for Max2D compatibility, or go with mky.mojo2 (which is a port of Monkey's Mojo2), which isn't Max2D compatible but is a fairly modern shader-based renderer.

So sdl.gl2sdlmax2d is GL2/GLES
sdl.glsdlmax2d is GL only (so shouldn't work on mobiles, I haven't tested)
brl.max2d is equal to sdl.glsdlmax2d
any module name with graphics in it is the driver which max2d imports

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#3]
Import BRL.Max2D

Doesn't do any rendering itself. You need the backend-specific Max2D module too, like GLMax2D, or a DirectX Max2D module.
sdl.gl2sdlmax2d is a shader based version of the GLMax2D that is OpenGL ES compatible.

However Max2D isn't an ideal platform to use on lesser systems. For example, things like DrawText are horrendously inefficient, which means you can only render a small amount of text before your frame rate tumbles.
Mojo2's text stuff is much better, but obviously it's not Max2D, so YMMV as far as migrating any Max2D code goes.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#4]
Thanks guys. So can I use GLMax2D on all platforms including Android?

Yes, I assume Mojo2 commands are not similar to Max2D but I'm slowly making the transition.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#5]
So can I use GLMax2D on all platforms including Android?

No :-)
Because BRL.GLMax2D is not compatible with OpenGL ES. For mobile/Pi platforms, you need to use sdl.gl2sdlmax2d.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#6]
Ok got it Brucey. My problem is my module uses brl.max2d to work. Particularly TPIXMAPS..

trying to add sdl.gl2sdlmax2d either framework or import shows blank screen even on desktop

How do I use sdl driver in modules?

Derron(Posted 2016) [#7]
I thought Brucey already explained this:

"brl.max2d" provides "DrawImage" and similar convenience helpers.
It sits on top of the used graphics driver. Which you "enable" by importing "sdl.gl2sdlmax2d" (or others). After importing them, you are able to "SetGraphicsDriver whateveryouwanted".

Each graphicsdriver has something like "myimagetype.draw()", then "max2d" calls "selecteddriver.imagetype.draw()". Think of it as some kind of "wrapper".

So: max2D is there to enable to you to call "DrawImage" (and the likes) but it is not directly deciding which graphics renderer/engine is used.

bye
Ron

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#8]
So what do you think would be the replacement for brl.max2d if I need to use sdl?

Derron(Posted 2016) [#9]
There is no need to replace it.

As long as you do not try to use "mky.mod" (Mojo conversion) you should be able to use "sdl.gl2sdlmax2d" and "brl.max2d" as if you would use "brl.glmax2d" and "brl.max2d".

bye
Ron

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#10]
you should be able to use "sdl.gl2sdlmax2d" and "brl.max2d"

Great. I'm currently playing with android build so I'm trying to figure this out. S

Main app..
Framework brl.blitz
Import sdl.gl2sdlmax2d

Where import is formerely BRL.glMax2D

Import brl.max2d

I'm still getting a blank screen.. :/

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#11]
This is my full import section when trying for android

SuperStrict

Framework sdl.gl2sdlmax2d
Import brl.blitz
Import rusty.custommod
Import brl.pngloader

Import BRL.Max2D on rusty.custommod part

I did not know if this would match well.

I noticed sdl.gl2sdlmax2d works with Framework, I had Framework brl.blitz on the non sdl version, not sure if this affects the whole thing.

RustyKristi(Posted 2016) [#12]
This works.. (with brl.max2d on module)

Framework brl.blitz
Import sdl.glsdlmax2d
Import brl.pngloader

I'm confused why the sdl.gl2sdlmax2d driver which works on desktop on other examples does not work here.. Technically it runs but I'm getting a blank screen.

Edit: Desktop now works with following setting..

module:
Import BRL.GLMax2D (Pixmap functions)

Main:

Framework sdl.gl2sdlmax2D
Import SDL.SDL
Import brl.standardio
Import rusty.custom
Import brl.pngloader