Bmx-NG Error: Expression must be a variable

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Bmx-NG Error: Expression must be a variable

markcw(Posted 2016) [#1]
This happens with multi-dim arrays but single-dim arrays are fine. I added the k array in the example.

'Module sidesign.minib3d

Strict

' TGlobal.bmx
Type TGlobal

Global j#[16,2]
	Global k#[16*2] ' single dim

Function AntiAlias(samples:Int)

Select samples
			Case 1 RestoreData j2
		End Select

For Local i:Int=0 Until samples		
			ReadData j[i,0],j[i,1]
			'ReadData k[i],k[i+1]
		Next

End Function

End Type

' data.bmx
#j2
DefData 0.25,0.75,0.75,0.25

Using win7 tdm mingw 64 4.8.1.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#2]
Feel free to report issues on github too. I'm less likely to forget about them there ;-)

Thanks!

markcw(Posted 2016) [#3]
Error: Subexpression for 'Ptr' must be a variable

This is a similar multi-dim array error where you can't pass it as a pointer. I added ambient2 to show it works for single-dim arrays.

'Module Openb3d.Openb3d

Strict

' TLight.bmx
Type TLight 'Extends TEntity

Global no_lights:Int Ptr ' number of lights - 0

Global ambient#[8,4] ' [0.0,0.0,0.0,1.0]
	Global ambient2#[8*4] ' single dim

Function GetLightValues()

For Local i%=0 To no_lights[0]-1
			glGetLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+i, GL_AMBIENT, Varptr(ambient[i,0]))
			'glGetLightfv(GL_LIGHT0+i, GL_AMBIENT, Varptr(ambient2[i]))
		Next

End Function

End Type

markcw(Posted 2016) [#4]
Ok, I'll have a go. I was wondering if I should post issues there instead. Just wasn't sure which repo to post to!

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#5]
For things that compile with the legacy compiler but don't with NG, this is probably the better place to raise them : https://github.com/bmx-ng/bcc/issues

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#6]
Those two issues should be sorted now.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#7]
Tested and it works now, thanks!

Openb3d builds without changes and the sl_bumpmap example (which uses Get/SetLightValues) is working, in fact all Openb3d examples I tested worked!

The only problem is that it won't do fullscreen but this is not a feature I ever liked much anyway.

Derron(Posted 2016) [#8]
Does it "do fullscreen" for you when compiled with vanilla then there is a bug with NG (module, BCC), else it might be a bug in the sample, the module or in connection with your computer setup.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#9]
The only problem is that it won't do fullscreen but this is not a feature I ever liked much anyway.

Is there a specific error?

markcw(Posted 2016) [#10]
I tested this properly and fullscreen is working in NG, so sorry for the mistake.

Minib3d behaves a bit different to Openb3d when setting depth,mode in Graphics3d. This is actually a bug in Minib3d, when you set depth,mode to 0,1 the screen goes black but you can exit it doesn't crash. This also happens if depth,mode is 0,0 in release and is because depth is 16 when running in 32bit. Openb3d depth,mode has to be 32,1 or DesktopDepth(),1 for fullscreen to work.

I did find another issue though. When I run Minib3d example tex_render in NG debug mode the cube texture goes black (but this works in Bmx legacy debug), "BackBufferToTex" would seem to be the problem. In Openb3d the same tex_render example works in NG debug.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#11]
When I run Minib3d example tex_render in NG debug mode the cube texture goes black

Ok, found this is a bug with Minib3d and not NG. It goes black because the width/height are overwritten in TTexture CreateTexture as the code uses the same name for those parameters as some local variables. Solution is just to rename them.

Strange how it only happens in debug x86/x64 but is fine in release and in legacy Bmx debug/release...

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#12]
Do you have a small example that replicates the issue?

markcw(Posted 2016) [#13]
Ok, this is a bit odd it looks like the problem is actually in pixmap.Window rather than the same named vars in the loop. It doesn't return width/height in debug. I'm using tdm gcc 5.1.0.
Framework brl.standardio
Import brl.pixmap

Strict

Local mytex:TTexture2=TTexture2.CreateTexture2( 128,128 )

Print "mytex.width="+mytex.width+" mytex.height="+mytex.height

Type TTexture2

Field pixmap:TPixmap
	Field width:Int,height:Int

Function CreateTexture2:TTexture2(width:Int,height:Int,flags:Int=1,frames:Int=1,tex:TTexture2=Null)

If tex=Null Then tex:TTexture2=New TTexture2
		tex.pixmap=CreatePixmap(width*frames,height,PF_RGBA8888)
		Local pixmap:TPixmap
Print "tex.pixmap.width="+tex.pixmap.width+" tex.pixmap.height="+tex.pixmap.height

For Local i:Int=0 To 0
			pixmap=tex.pixmap.Window(width,0,width,height)
Print "pixmap.width="+pixmap.width+" pixmap.height="+pixmap.height

tex.width=pixmap.width
			tex.height=pixmap.height
			Local width:Int=pixmap.width
			Local height:Int=pixmap.height
Print "width="+width+" height="+height

Next

Return tex

End Function

End Type

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#14]
Thanks.
The issue appears to be with args not being correctly added to the local function scope, which results in incorrect generation of internal local variable names.
This isn't a problem in release mode, but becomes one in debug mode because local scope variables are declared at the start of the scope. The "width" arg for your pixmap.Window is then incorrectly referenced to the Local width variable declared later...

:o)

Derron(Posted 2016) [#15]
SuperStrict
Framework Brl.StandardIO

Function Test:int(param:int)
	print "function param: "+ param

For local i:int = 0 to 0
		print "before local param: "+ param
		local param:int = 20
		print "after local param: "+ param
	Next
End Function

Test(10)

Output vanilla:
function param: 10
before local param: 10
after local param: 20

Output NG:
function param: 10
before local param: 10
after local param: 20

So this isn't mixed (at least it does not look that way).

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#16]
Derron, you didn't run it in debug?

Derron(Posted 2016) [#17]
Lol...of course not.
Somehow I forgot to check "debug" in MaxIDE ... thought it was on (as I use "MaxIDE" just when debugging my game) but MaxIDE of NG does not share its settings with MaxIDE of vanilla, so NG built a release variant.

Excuse my mistake.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#18]
Should be fixed now.

markcw(Posted 2016) [#19]
Thanks. Rebuilt bcc and brl.mod. Do I need to rebuild mods for this? I'm not sure but I don't think so.

The example now gives: "Unhandled exception:Pixmap coordinates out of bounds" in debug and works in release, width/height are good before being passed to pixmap.Window.

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#20]
You should probably rebuild everything with this change.

Unhandled exception

Dunno, but the generated variables look correct now in the example code you provided.

The pixmap is created with a width of 128, and a height of 128

The code says :
pixmap=tex.pixmap.Window(width,0,width,height)

So,
pixmap=tex.pixmap.Window(128,0,128,128)

Isn't that out of bounds?
According to the assert :
x>=0 And width>=0 And x+width<=Self.width

So,
128>=0 And width>=0 And 128+128<=128

which is false.

There are no assertions in Release mode.

Unless I'm reading it wrong?

Brucey(Posted 2016) [#21]
Looking at the minib3d source on GitHub, the original example multiplies the first arg by zero on the first instance:
pixmap=tex.pixmap.Window(x*width,0,width,height)

which would give a valid pixmap window :
pixmap=tex.pixmap.Window(0*128,0,128,128)

:-)

markcw(Posted 2016) [#22]
Doh! My bad, should've left the x in. Sorry about that. And I was too lazy to build sidesign and test, oops.

And yes, I had to rebuild sidesign to get tex_render example working in debug. But it works!