NG Roadmap/TODO

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/NG Roadmap/TODO

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#1]
Today I was thinking about some of the things that might be nice to add to BlitzMax NG, to potentially enhance its functionality, so I made a todo list...

https://github.com/bmx-ng/bmx-ng/blob/master/TODO.md

No specific order, and you could class some as "nice to have" rather than "need to have".

I'm open to comments and suggestions, yays or nays, etc.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#2]
More a module question, than bcc-ng related

- streaming audio via FreeAudio
- configurability of android projects (name, icon/symbol...)

bcc-ng
- enums ? (not really needed, but might be "nice to have")

bmx-ng
- emscripten/html5-target (you started it - maybe the current version works way better with emscripten then in the past tries)

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#3]
@emscripten
I think it's a problem with the GC. It appears to collect *everything*.
I did ask on their list, but they just said I need to use the latest version of the GC - which wasn't very helpful...

Derron(Posted 2015) [#4]
Isn't Mark targeting emscripten too? in that case his GC implementation should be suffice?!

Maybe you should "bump" your question in the mailinglist (or wherever you asked).

bye
Ron

RustyKristi(Posted 2015) [#5]
openb3d for android?

LT(Posted 2015) [#6]
I'm curious (and don't have time to dig into code) about how reflection works. Since you need to import the reflection module, is it saving data about the types, fields, and methods somewhere? Is that creating additional overhead?

I'm just wondering how easy it would be to add things like method parameter names and default values...?

GW(Posted 2015) [#7]
How does this Todo list fit in with stabilizing the compiler at a basic level? Right now about 70% of toy examples I've tried fail to compile with bcc failing to recognize the syntax or generating malformed cpp code.
Also there is a about a 20 second startup time before compiling starts. Is that something that will always be the case?

Passing Arguments to type constructors would be handy. But I personally would prefer Bmax language parity first.

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#8]
about 70% of toy examples I've tried fail to compile with bcc failing to recognize the syntax or generating malformed cpp code

Great. Thanks for reporting them!

Derron(Posted 2015) [#9]
Only compilation lag i've seen was before using the quick param...and this also only because I am using a slow sata ide.

Bye
Ron

GW(Posted 2015) [#10]
Great. Thanks for reporting them!

I'm happy to enumerate any issues I come across.
What's the best way to report them? Here in the these forums? pastbin? I don't use github and I've been reluctant to post them here as these are not technically Brl product issues.
Perhaps there should be forum setup on the 'bmx-ng.com' domain?

Brucey(Posted 2015) [#11]
You can post small breaking examples here, if you wish. Just create a new thread and I'll take a look at them.

John G(Posted 2015) [#12]
Should OddBall's extensions be compatible with BMX-NG plans? These extensions modify the standard BlitzMax Graphics Drivers for DX7, DX9, and OpenGL. Thanks.

JoshK(Posted 2015) [#13]
I'm looking forward to this. I want to switch Leadwerks Editor over to this, but that either requires MaxGUI (Win32/GTK/Cocoa) to work, or for me to write a whole new GUI layer.

Let me know if I can be of any help.

Derron(Posted 2015) [#14]
If you know what "does not work", you might think of creating github issues then ... so it could get tackled step by step.

bye
Ron

edit: removed a bit of side blows.

mingw(Posted 2016) [#15]
@Brucey

Function overloading?
Public and Private fields/methods in types?
Inline?
Macro or Template?
#define #undef #if #elseif #else #endif ?

and...

Type
End [[Type]]

?