Windows Sux... meh

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Windows Sux... meh

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#1]
:-)

So my first attack on the directx stuff for bmx_ng was a total failure. Yay.

Currently licking my wounds and having a go at maxgui.win32maxguiex now.

Interestingly, BlitzMax gets away with directly linking to d3d7/d3d9 because of the it constructs the method pointers to the IDirectXXXX objects. All done with function pointer offset against the instance vtable.
Which is fine for 32-bit, but moving to 64-bit kind of throws all of that away anyway.

Ho hum... I'll leave dx till later :-p

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#2]
Hey, while a 100% drop-in replacement would be fantastic of course, I'd think a "64-bit windows is OpenGL-only" would still be a very nice outcome.

PhotonTom(Posted 2014) [#3]
Hopefully someone will work on a 64bit version of minib3d too :)
Also yeah Windows sucks but its too popular of a platform...

Russell(Posted 2014) [#4]
Yeah, many years ago, one of the guys from id software (John Carmack, one of the co-authors of 'Doom' and 'Castle Wolfenstein') wrote a piece for some online magazine or something about how much he hates DX compared to OpenGL. Especially how DX requires you (apparently: I've never tried taming that beast) to load data structures for everything and then pass that object to some function, etc, whereas OpenGL works the way you think it should (much simpler, yet flexible and powerful still). He has had a change of heart (sort of...), though. Here's an article about that: http://www.bit-tech.net/news/gaming/2011/03/11/carmack-directx-better-opengl/1

It seems Microsoft based DirectX version 1 on "Exodus" from Kinesoft Development, since MS needed to woo programmers away from DOS (Windows 95 was soon to be released). Exodus was the only game in town, I guess, but it had its problems that plagued DirectX for many years (including the aforementioned data structure model).

Anyway, MS has the $$ to innovate, so who knows?

Russell

GW(Posted 2014) [#5]
Will we see a binary version of [win]bmax_ng soon?

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#6]
Will we see a binary version of [win]bmax_ng soon?

Dunno. It was easier to get it working on the Raspberry Pi :-p