where to get current avbin.dll?

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/where to get current avbin.dll?

Russell(Posted 2014) [#1]
Running the AVBin example from BaH.Mod/avbin complains that it can not find 'avbin.dll'. The newest avbin version I could find installs a file called 'system.dll' instead of 'avbin.dll'. I did find a pre-built 'avbin.dll', but it was from 2008 (ancient history).

Any idea where I could find this thing? Also, I really hate to install anything in my System or System32 folders unless I absolutely have to (This is where the installer puts the file). Can they just go in the same folder as the exe using 'avbin.dll'?

Thanks,
Russell

xlsior(Posted 2014) [#2]
Typically: yes, you should be able to put the dll in the same folder as your application.

If you look in the bah.mod/avbin folder, is the avbin.dll stored in one of the subfolders already somewhere? If so, grab a copy of that any put it in the same folder as your compiled .exe

Russell(Posted 2014) [#3]
Unfortunately the AVBin.dll is not there :(

I wonder if I can just rename the 'system.dll' file (from the newest version of avbin) to 'avbin.dll' and just use it instead?

Russell

Russell(Posted 2014) [#4]
Well, I managed to (finally!) find 'avbin.dll' on the internet and got the avbin.mod example to compile and run, but... unfortunately it seems 90% of the videos I try don't play at all and 100% of them do not play sound :( (except one which just kept looping the first second or so of the sound at about 1/10th normal speed)

Brucey, do you know of a simple library just for reading and writing video frames from/to a video stream? One that supports at least the major formats such as mpeg-2 and mp4?

The theora player mod works great! But, of course, it only supports theora videos.

Any ideas?
Russell

Russell(Posted 2014) [#5]
Well, I found two interesting possibilities:
Matlab (http://sourceforge.net/projects/videoutils/?source=directory) and VideoMan (http://sourceforge.net/projects/videomanlib/?source=directory).

I didn't have time to really look them over (time for bed!), but what is your opinion, Brucey? Would either of these be relatively easy to wrap for BlitzMax?

Russell

Russell(Posted 2014) [#6]
Actually, ffmpeg may do the trick (and it's cross-platform). Not sure. I'm poring over the docs right now...

I've heard the license is complicated for ffmpeg, depending on how you want to use it....

Russell