Leadwerks modified Bah.GTKMaxGUI

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Leadwerks modified Bah.GTKMaxGUI

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#1]
As promised, here is my branch of Brucey's GTKMaxGUI. This contains all the bugs I fixed during development of my Linux application. It's not set up as a module, so just import "gtkmaxgui.bmx" and it will work:
http://www.leadwerks.com/files/gtkmaxgui.zip

Derron(Posted 2014) [#2]
Thanks in advance.

Just had a quick look with "Meld" checking your dir vs the current svn of gtkmaxgui

It is hard to see what you changed as the sources have changed.

Do you have the "original gtkmaxgui" without your patches?

Without I have to guess that things like
gtkgadget.bmx:
Import brl.random
no "rnd","rand" or "rand" in the following source

are getting included by a now no longer included code part.

By watching the differences you will spot other things - which might be an error (in your code):

addConnection("configure_event", g_signal_cb3(handle, "configure_event", OnWindowMoveSize, Self, Destroy, 0))

in the current svn this event is called "configure-event".

But like said: without seeing what really was changed I/we cannot see what was improved on your side - and what is just a difference between the version your patches are based on - and the current state of the module.

Don't feel attacked by my post/critics.

bye
Ron

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#3]
I didn't keep track of changes, I just started writing code. Have fun. :)

Derron(Posted 2014) [#4]
If I want you use Bruceys current gtkmaxgui with your changes/improvements: I would need to go through _all_ of gtkmaxguis sourcecode.

As you were to lazy to record what base code you used (you are not alone :D) I checked what you might have based your changes on:

You are using gtkmaxgui.mod rev.1307 (prior missed the licence information, newer ones added some new files) it was the one with the "least changing" behaviour (3 way comparison with 2009th gtkmaxgui, the rev.1307 and yours).

So - if one wants to "port" your changes: use bruceys gtkmaxgui.mod in revision 1307, compare it to JoshK's - export it as a diff, and go through it line by line ("basics" might have changed so that the patch is useless/wrong for newer revisions).

bye
Ron

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#5]
There were some pretty bad bugs that weren't revealed in the simple documentation examples. I think QueryObject() wasn't even working correctly.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#6]
Ignore the piss and moan brigade. Thank you for all of your hard work. It is greatly appreciated and it is wonderful to finally have BlitzMax actually usable on Linux.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#7]
I did not "piss and moan" ... thanks for your kind words.

I just stated that it is sometimes better to state what something is based of - so people could use that improvements in the current revision of a source code. This is not "pissing" and not "moaning". Maybe you should try to find some 10 yrs old Blitzmax and patch some modules (the time the "module server" was alive) - in some cases this helps (if it wasn't changed till now) but as soon as you run into the merge hell (left and ride side changed) you would be glad to have the base referenced somewhere.

And like said: it is nice to share the improvements here - but all in all critics should be allowed.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#8]
It is greatly appreciated and it is wonderful to finally have BlitzMax actually usable on Linux.

The current version of GTKMaxGUI is working fine, actually, and has been for a while.

GaryV(Posted 2014) [#9]
The current version of GTKMaxGUI is working fine, actually, and has been for a while.

Thank you for your input, but I clearly said BlitzMax. It would be nice to see BRL uses yours and Josh's work as the default GUI for Linux and recompile the Linux IDE using it as well. Then the only thing plaguing us would be the sound issues on Linux.

Derron(Posted 2014) [#10]
Of course you meant: then the only thing - next to X,Y... is the sound issue on Linux.

Replace X,Y... with eg. that broken "undo"-functionality in MaxIDE on linux ... never trust it, it just scrambles your code (just saw it today, yesterday ...) when CTRL+Z some line ... ended with a mix of "old, new and code from other lines".

Is an known issue nobody from Brl takes care of. Brucey also mentioned that there were some issues concerning undo when he did his "scintilla drop in replacement" in MaxIDE.

Advantage of "Fltk" was the low level of dependencies. But if you are capable of doing it: publish a "improved gtk"-version of the MaxIDE CE so people could benefit from it. I use MaxIDE just for "debugging" (don't want to write debugger code for geany which I use for coding/compiling).

... but I clearly said BlitzMax.

Think one could interpret your phrase that way that only this changed gtkmaxgui-package allowed you to use GTK on Linux - and as Brucey stated: it already was possible with the current revisions of his gtkmaxgui package.
Please elaborate more if I/we misunderstood you concerning this topic.

bye
Ron

UNZ(Posted 2014) [#11]
Have you lost interest in indevIDE Derron?

Brucey(Posted 2014) [#12]
Well, UNZ, it's not using MaxGUI, so it's obviously not very important in the BlitzMax scheme of things ;-)

Derron(Posted 2014) [#13]
lost interest? Like said: I use Geany for my personal coding (as it also handles html, css, php ... - so it is my "text editor of choice").

Last week I recommended to use indevIDE for a one trying to learn BlitzMax (I give him "tutorials" on my forum :D). So I did not loose interest!

Will post in the indevide-thread about an odd behaviour.

bye
Ron

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#14]
I'm not offended. It would definitely be better if I had documented each change. But there is just no motivation for me to do that.

Big thanks to Brucey because he made Leadwerks for Linux possible through this.

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#15]
Josh, any chance of a s screenshot or two? Perhaps you could post a news item on this site.

JoshK(Posted 2014) [#16]
Sure, I'll see what I can do...

Grisu(Posted 2014) [#17]
Thanks Josh! Ahm, potted plant... ;)

Derron(Posted 2014) [#18]
What will the screenshots be about? Just make a screenshot of a gtk-application and voilą...
He did not create dozens of new "widgets" but fixes - and if this are no changes fixing visual-glitches it is hard to visualize them in the form of a screenshot.

@Plotted Plant:
How many months until renaming to "JoshuaTree" ? :D

bye
Ron

skidracer(Posted 2014) [#19]
Derron, the request was a little OT, the screenshots would be for promoting BlitzMax / MaxGUI.