wxAui sluggish on Linux (Mint 15)

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxAui sluggish on Linux (Mint 15)

Derron(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi Brucey.

As the head of state concerning wxMax I directly address you as receiver of this polite request :D

First I thought it is the way UNZ utilizes wxAui but even the wxAui-Sample in the wxMax-folder has this behaviour:

If you move around things (resizing panels, moving Icon panels ...) it feels like "delayed". I see how things are refreshed in order. Sure, this all happens within some milliseconds but it is distracting and looking awful.

Edit: in detail: if you resize a panel having both scrollbars, the scrollbar next to the used resizer-handle gets hidden during "movement" and reappearing after finishing resizing. Headers/captions of a wxAui-Panel are redrawn first, some milliseconds later the content is redrawn ...
Maybe the event-queue is somehow not processed correctly.

I run code:blocks as comparison (using wxAui too, but with the normal C(++)-binding). The resizing there is "snappy" and works like intended.

So I "hope" the reason for the problems I came into contact with, are based on your wxMax-implementation. I hope this, because then it is fixable by you :D.

Maybe there are others having this behaviour on their linuxes too - or not so we could narrow it down a bit.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#2]
Does a release build seem more snappy than a debug build, or do they perform similarly?

Derron(Posted 2013) [#3]
Both have the same behaviour (by default I build in "release" mode when hitting compile in my Geany-editor).

I just compiled "aui.bmx", click-dragged the middel resize-handle (between "welcome" and "tree pane"). When I released the mouse button it took about 50ms until the application reacted and resized the panel.
During "updating" the scrollbar on the right side of the "welcome"-panel disappeared for some milliseconds and reappeared soon after.

Within UNZ-ide this "delay" is much more annoying as the hover-effect (show a panel during hovering a button) is delayed - if you move your mouse over 3 hover buttons all of them are delayed and this adds some sort of confusion.

Edit: another thing with recognizeable "delay" is if you "double click" on the header of the window to maximize it .. it takes a while and you see how the scrollbars get "updated/refreshed" after their panels refreshed their content accordingly - as if this all happens some cycles delayed.

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#4]
Running on Fedora 17 in VM (on OS X with i7-2620M @ 2.7ghz) , it feels snappy even in debug. I get a bit of flicker on the main panel when I resize the window, but otherwise it seems fine.

Maybe I need to set up a Mint VM and test that too.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#5]
I just run it on my aged laptop running ubuntu 12.04 (LTS).

Was way snappier but still there was a visual "flickering".

Mint uses another skin/theming so this might make things "slower" - but like said, code::blocks uses wxWidgets too - and that is snappy on Mint.

bye
Ron

Derron(Posted 2013) [#6]
Did you setup a mint vm?

bye
Ron

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#7]
Sorry, I got distracted making a Snow Leopard VM instead.. :-/

(got to stay focussed... got to stay focussed...)

Derron(Posted 2013) [#8]
Meanwhile tell if it worked. Thought of reusing the licence of a friends old Mac within a VM - just not have done that because people said it is really slow (the eula ... I am no US citizen).

bye
Ron