Thanks for the MySQL

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/Thanks for the MySQL

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#1]
I just wanted to post a thank you to Brucey for developing the MySQL database plugin. I'm using it for the server app in my current project ( http://facebook.com/groups/osric ) and it is working a charm.

I did get unstuck using the version on the website initially but the one from the SVN works a charm (some people do google before asking :P)

So a huge thanks from me, it's really appreciated.

GfK(Posted 2013) [#2]
Yeah, the Brucey mods should be sort of "official". Tons of very useful stuff.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#3]
He already got spent a special sub forum in the official one. More official would just mean "more testing" etc.

Also I think Brucey is more of the kind of people accepting a gifted beer as thanks than cheerios, hoorays and kisses from (male :D) coders.
But whatever Brucey thinks... thanks too ;-*.

bye
Ron

PS: Banshee, your link to facebook is not working (requires me to login) - why do you post a link not working for "non-facebookers" :-(.

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#4]
PS: Banshee, your link to facebook is not working (requires me to login) - why do you post a link not working for "non-facebookers" :-(.

Alas, Facebook... It's a "Facebook group" and sadly that requires a login - but it's only meant as temporary until the game gets it's own web page further down the line. You can see the project here instead http://forums.nuclearglory.com/index.php?tid=4981 - the FB group has a few more pictures and more regular updates and stuff, but if you want that much detail you'd sign up for FB right! :P

xlsior(Posted 2013) [#5]
but if you want that much detail you'd sign up for FB Right!

I don't think most facebookers quite realize just how anti-facebook many of the non-users actually are. :-?

GfK(Posted 2013) [#6]
Facebook is on a slippery slope. When you run a site as big as that, and make the decision to allow beheading videos, something is very, very wrong with the people who are making those decisions.

Nobody will be using it before much longer, other than sick, twisted morons - the outcasts of society who should not be allowed to roam free among the civilised world.

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#7]
*shrug* should they be sensoring videos? If they did people would only complain.

Having said that there are some things that just don't have a place on the internet. Videos of rape would have me reeling away from it, but we've all seen death on you tube: Heck, if you haven't seen a Russian car crash compilation then you haven't been bored. So I'm on the fence on this one, although I don't fancy checking out the videos myself.

As for whether facebook is a good thing. Well it is everything evil that the cynical mind can conceive. There are all manner of things wrong with it. But I am an indie games author, therefor I need to embrace social media. End of.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#8]

But I am an indie games author, therefor I need to embrace social media. End of.

Another source of information, discussion, ... which could be concentrated in your custom forum/discussion board - or you solely rely on your facebook account/twitter... etc.

The "smaller" your targeted audience is ...
the harder it gets to reach them so facebook might help - but it makes it also harder as you then have to post there just to give information to 5-10 people while other 15 are reading your board, another 3 are reading twitter ... and so on.
The "smaller" your targeted audience is ...
the easier it is to guide them to use your board and not facebook.

@register at FB
I am registered ... since some years (study exam results got photographed and posted there... and lazy students needed an account - prior it was studivz a "copy" of facebook for Germany). But I don't like to login anylonger - just to see which old classmate of 25 years ago wants to get my "friend" - or whats friend of a friend wants to join the small group of my friends just to share months-old-viral-videos, pictures or game experiences... no thanks.
So my comment about "have to register" was more a general thing: it is like linking to a post in your board within a subforum requiring to be registered to enable reading.

This leads me to another aspect: discussion without registering : your "posts" on Facebook cannot get answered by guests. Your forums could be setup to enable that.

Sorry@Brucey for hijacking your ThanksThanksThanks-Thread.

So to you others writing responses to the social-media-part: please include some thanks to Brucey too :D

bye
Ron

Banshee(Posted 2013) [#9]
Well the reality is that social media is a way of reaching out to new members once a project is up and running.

With where I am at now I simply havn't made a web page for my game yet, I'm working on the game first and the site later. I could get some off the shelf thing, but off the shelf software doesn't do a great job unless you customise it - and standardised software tends to get standardised hacks. I fell into that trap years ago with phpbb and phpnuke and wordpress - they all have the same failings - it's easy to do a site that isn't worth having and then you get hacked.... So I'll do one, but first I must do the game.

Where facebook wins is I could quickly and easily create something, where there are potential customers already registered, and I dont have to work at maintaining it except to talk occasionally and try to engage my audience. From a time management perspective it's ideal and suited my needs at that stage.

However it is limited, the reach isn't great and if anything users have slowly trickled away over the year instead of grown - to grow it I would have to promote it - doing so inside FB costs money, doing so outside of facebook, and that is where Facbeook fails - because of the facebook resistance....

So to me it had it's purpose and it had a place - but ultimately I am aware the game will need a site - and an FB presence will just be part of the online portfolio I will maintain during the active promotional period.

It needs a UI, some gameplay work and a bit more modelling done first.

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#10]
I just wanted to post a thank you to Brucey for developing the MySQL database plugin.

You're welcome ;-)

In other news I *finally* released 1.07 which should help with everyone not having to scrape SVN for the latest working version.

Sub_Zero(Posted 2013) [#11]
Thanks for all modules, brucey :)

LT(Posted 2013) [#12]
"(some people Google before asking)"

Googling took me right to the old zips. Just sayin'...

But yeah, the new mod works great!