wxBORDER_NONE results in empty window

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/wxBORDER_NONE results in empty window

UNZ(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi, I'm trying to create a borderless frame but if I set the wxBORDER_NONE style the window is just grey.

example:

I want to show nice infos for scintilla keywords on dwelling. But the calltip window of scintilla does not support html tags. I want to use a wxHtmlWindow instead.
Would be nice if someone could help.

EDIT:
The window is gray because there is no repaint.
My solution is to set the style flag wxFULL_REPAINT_ON_RESIZE as well and to use SetSize() in myHtmlFrame.OnInit()

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#2]
Does adding wxSTAY_ON_TOP help ?

There's also a wxPopupWindow, which may behave more like popup/hover window..

Derron(Posted 2013) [#3]
If you are just drawing 2-3 styled lines you can draw them into the canvas of the editor if you want...

wxStyleTextCtrl (which is used by wxScintilla) also uses wxPopupWindow for calltips and autocomplete-windows - so brucey might have given a nice idea to check.

(see: ScintillaWX.cpp and search for "calltip")

bye
Ron

UNZ(Posted 2013) [#4]
No, I print the complete doc text of a keyword. And these have html tags. See wxWindow for an example.

I think my solution is quite nice. I added wxRESIZE_BORDER as well so you can expand the window to see big doc texts.

example:

Derron(Posted 2013) [#5]
Your Screen:

is showing a way to big tooltip/calltip, I cannot imagine being useful. For bigger hints than "functionname:return(params)" + "returns the height of the given widget" people tend to use F1 ("Help") or G...oogle.

So this might be useful for "inline F1" but hopefully does not get used for "hover"-events :D.

Just keep in mind: help for the user should be unintrusive but concisely presented (so you do not get me wrong that thing in German: Hilfe sollte unaufdringlich aber dennoch praegnant dargestellt werden).
So it does not further disturb the coder from his or her work - exception is the F1-Help-call or a right click to a context menu "further definition" or so.

Edit: furthermore you could take into consideration of putting custom .css-files for your calltips so they could get styled to fit into a color scheme.

bye
Ron

UNZ(Posted 2013) [#6]
I just wanted to show how one can resize it for large doc texts. As I said you can change the size. The default is much smaller... And although my english may not be the best I can easily look-up new words which improves my english skills.

Edit:
I don't think that css is supported by wxHtmlWindow and if I remember correct you have problems with wxWebView Derron :). Furthermore I think that might be over the top for a popup help. There is still the HotDocs page.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#7]
Yes, " I " have problems... because I as a minority are using a 64bit linux.

Next time I wont translate to minimize misinterpretation chances.

Dunno how it looks in linux but the "border" around the window (to make it resizeable) makes the window looking "external".

bye
Ron

UNZ(Posted 2013) [#8]
I didn't want to blame you for anything. Sorry if my post sounded harsh.
I too have a 64bit linux on which everything works well. Wasn't the problem getting some large libs?

I have not tested it on linux yet but the border is normal for resizable frames. For example eclipse's autocomp has that sort of border as well.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#9]
In my head I have imagined a small (1px, dark, solid) border around a simple color in the background and solid, also simple colored text. No fancy bullets, font-size-style-mixtures, other things disturbing my eyes from reading. Exception is "tables" for constant/params explanation (to distinguish between param and description).

Visually kind of the screen you posted here

I do not remember exactly but I thought I would have to install a 32bit lib which would force removal of some system wide needed 64bit libs (aka "replacement").
If you are running a debian based distribution (so not Ubuntu, Linux Mint (nondebian), ...) you may be able to install them without trouble as they use some differing approaches to a multiarch-system.

Also I prefer statically linked libraries when it comes to a 32bit-language like BlitzMax. It is not that nice to force users to install additional libs (32bit in 64bit systems) just to start an application. I know, your ide is for programmers so this does not fit very well. While the other parts of wxWidget/wxMax are statically linked, that wxWebView behaves differently (maybe because of different engines it tries to address).

Is there a reason to use "wxWebView" instead of "wxHtmlWindow"? You mentioned, the latter had problems displaying the "home"-webdocument? The wxwidgets documentation just states it does not allow adding custom tags and mime-handlers (which you do not want to do).

About the looks again: When we are able to see them in action, the call/tooltips might convince me, I just wanted to spread around my thoughts about this so you might think about them twice instead of following your first idea blindly.

bye
Ron