BaH.rtAudio and BaH.rtAudioDriver

BlitzMax Forums/Brucey's Modules/BaH.rtAudio and BaH.rtAudioDriver

Derron(Posted 2013) [#1]
Hi Brucey,

I don't know whether you read about problems getting "maxmod2" compiled with recent MinGW. - If not: they exist and force the usage of older MinGW-versions which are not compatible with wxMax.

"What? Not compatible? By the light of Mars, they need my help!" you hopefully think (hmm you also might think "whatever...").
As you already have written a wrapper/glue-kit for bass/fmod and irrklang, I just wanted to kindly ask for a "rtAudio"-wrapper, a wrapper which utilizes the newer versions of rtAudio.

Which advantages does this have? rtAudio does not need special DLLs or .so-files. It does not have restrictive shareware-licences (my software is free of charge but I do not like to have a .dll in the directory... reminds me on the old vbrun*00.dll-times).

Why I am asking: I (and I think others too) just want a simple replacement for the default audio driver which allows streamed media playback. I do not need recording functions or other "advanced things", just the possibility to playback streamed sound on all 3 platforms (default audio driver needs fixes - you certainly know).

rtAudi adds streaming possibility. I don't know what is further needed to gain access to "ogg" (maxmod adds another ogg-layer - think for the customized music-type).

As you are looking for guinea pigs all the time, I would provide myself as the tabby one with the cute big eyes hidden behind thick glasses and a broken 4th leg.

bye
Ron

PS: just for your convenience..
Url to rtAudio
Url to MaxMod

Brucey(Posted 2013) [#2]
I don't know whether you read about problems getting "maxmod2" compiled with recent MinGW

Yeah, and I've rewritten great chunks of it to get it (almost) working with the latest MinGW. I say almost, because there are problems with the WAV playback and the threading code, which MAVs often - and is easily reproducible. Unfortunately Windows debugging tools (compared to what I have available on OS X and Linux) are woeful, and I have almost been tempted to try a rewrite of the threading code using Boost - but to be honest, I can't be bothered to.

I haven't been able to crash the Ogg part of it though, which is something, I suppose.

But, as you may know, trying to debug someone else's code can be somewhat of a nightmare... especially on one's least preferred platform.

Derron(Posted 2013) [#3]
especially on one's least preferred platform.

Hmm... what you say :D

About the MAV ... that is what I get when compiling things with maxmod (i think it is related to it) : on windows I get them on some compiler runs. Linux never "fault"ed that way.
(Always using OGG, no WAVs or other formats).

I had updated my maxmod to use rtaudio 4.0.11 (as this had support for pulseaudio i think).
Also I added some additional functions to set the used API from BlitzMax. Refined the order of libs (Like said, for Linux I had to prioritize pulseaudio as I else would not be able to have multiple audio sources playing simultaneously - internet radio + blitzmaxapp).

I will send you my changes per mail.

bye
Ron

GfK(Posted 2013) [#4]
For what it's worth, I'd pay actual money for a reliable, simple, lightweight, cross-platform audio streaming module that didn't require me to learn a whole new API.

[edit] (Not much money, though, otherwise I might as well just jump head first into IrrKlang)