2D Tile map generation

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/2D Tile map generation

allranger(Posted 2012) [#1]
I have been toying around with tile maps, but I have been making them by hand. I want to start generating them so I can have larger maps, etc.

I am not sure what to search for so here is what I am wanting to do:
1. Have caves in the map.
2. Have different types of environments (sandy desert, snow, pine forrest, etc).
3. Take height into account, (e.g. a sky/space area, surface dirt level, hard rock level deeper down, magma at the bottom).

That is what I want the end product to have. What types of concepts should I be looking for? Any tutorials or information some one can point me to?

OBX Fisherman(Posted 2013) [#2]
I've found some of the articles at RogueBasin helpful.
http://roguebasin.roguelikedevelopment.org/index.php?title=Articles

The Cellular Automata Method of cave generation has worked for my current project.

Here's a sample of a small cave it created for me:

I've struggled with a generator that can create a decent exterior setting. I'll probably end up using a set world of mountains, desert, water ect, but let the game decide on random locations for cave & dungeons. Towns & villages may static as well. I have developed an efficient random dungeon generator, so the majority of the game can seem different every time.

As for what to search for try "RGP alogrithms" "roguelike programming"

To address the height I would come up with some way to generate the map based a set of parameters, sort of a recipe the generator follows that tailors the map to your settings. I've have taken that approach and have recipe files the game engine uses to build the caves or dungeons.

HTH

Gary