Help to round floats to integers

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Help to round floats to integers

Galdy(Posted 2012) [#1]
I need to be able to round a floating number down or up to the nearest integer.
I did it this way with blitz3d;

For i=1 To 20
x#=Ceil(ImageWidth (NumberList(i))/2.0)
y#=Ceil(ImageHeight (NumberList(i))/2.0)
HandleImage NumberList(i),x,y
MaskImage NumberList(i),255,255,255
Next

But don't know how to do it with Blitzmax's commands;

Floor:Double( x:Double )
Ceil:Double( x:Double )

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
I don't understand. Floor() and Ceil() work exactly the same as in Blitz3D.

Galdy(Posted 2012) [#3]
Oh. Guess i got confused by the different looking syntax in the Bmax docs. Very well then. Thanks.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
Well, Blitz3D:
Floor#(x#)

BlitzMax:
Floor:Double(x:Double)

"Floor" is the function name. Functions, by default, return an Integer value. If you want to return something else, i.e. a Double (which is a more accurate Float), then you must specify it in the function declaration, hence, "Floor:Double".

X:Double means that the function expects you to pass it a Double as a parameter, but note that you can pass it an Int, or a Float etc, and the function will cast it to a Double anyway. The X part is used internally by that function (X will refer to whatever value you pass to the function), but you don't need to worry about that.

So to summarise, Floor:Double(x:Double) means that the function expects a Double value to be fed to it as a parameter, and will return a Double when the function has finished executing.

Also, note that the # in the Blitz3D version means the value is a Float - Blitz3D did not have support for Double Precision values, which is likely what's confused you.

Galdy(Posted 2012) [#5]
While this was good to understand, I found the midhandle function which will be much simpler for centering the handle of those images.