Is blitz max 2D+3D?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Is blitz max 2D+3D?

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hey everyone it is Ethan again on my second post. I was just wondering does Blitz Max have 2D and 3D capability? When I go to buy Blitz 3D I
don't want to waste my money on 3D only.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
BlitzMax comes with 2D and command-line capability packaged, and can make GUI or 3D applications by loading extra modules or engines. (So, "yes".) You can load pretty much any 2D or 3D engine.

Blitz3D also has 2D capability built in, although it's not as good for various technical reasons. Blitz3D and BlitzPlus can also load many external engines, but are generally limited to DLLs which present a particular interface, so the selection isn't as good. Most here would say BlitzMax is the better purchase, not only because of the more flexible module system but because it also uses an updated and more powerful programming language compared to the older Blitz Basics.

Take note that 3D implies 2D: any 3D engine can display a 2D scene by simply not bothering to use the third dimension for anything. Some of the best 2D engines are actually built this way. So there's no such thing as "3D only".

Ethan(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thanks again Yasha, that sounds good. So Blitz Max is essentially "The Max".
I noticed that in the code archives that there is .bmx and the other I think is .bb. Does .bmx mean that the program was written in Blitz max?

~Ethan

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#4]
Yes, bmx is the BlitzMax source code file extension while bb is just plain old BlitzBasic source code (Blitz3D or BlitzPlus)