Match Engine?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Match Engine?

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#1]
Is Basic Match Engine are tough to do? You know Text Base Match Engine that happen depending on player skills

IF I was going create Match Engine code would involed with

IF Commands(to make descion) and also Case Select that create the match

Hints and tips would be helpful from your experience

Last edited 2012

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#2]
what exactly are you trying to do?
If you are more specific maybe I or somebody here can help you.
At first I though you were talking about a match 3 engine but after looking into it more carefully I am not sure I understand you. I don't know any "Text Match Engine" or what you mean by that.

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#3]
the traditional text-based match commentary like this

I think when they code the 2D Match Engine(text-based match commentary) and they must have used IF Commands to make players descions depending on where on the pitch(which I think they used Select Case to decide the match) but I could be wrong thought

Here Video of it

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DTpLB1Yk6kw

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#4]
I have never tried anything similar. I am afraid I can't be much help with it. Sorry!

Derron(Posted 2012) [#5]
There is no need for a "engine".

Each phrase gets keywords/situation-words with percentages connected to it.

"BallpossessionChanged" is one keyword
"Bla achieves to catch the ball from Blubb" is a possible response

Now connect the response with the keyword and a possiblity.

Think about the fact that you are connecting m:n (multiple keywords can be connected to multiple responses). So you have to build up some middleware table holding the connections (tmap containing tmaps - maps or arrays for fast read access).

The "percentages" are the subject of work as they decide wether good or bad "commentaries" are used.

bye
Ron

PS: I never coded such a thing nor used one ... but that are my thoughts on the topic.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
From what I can see in those images, all of that can be done in plain old BlitzMax. It looks like nothing more than a simple scoring system with a few not so fancy images loaded for the GUI. :/

Also, Three of my own games have a scoring system. It isn't that hard to do ya know.
http://www.captainwicker.com/macpcapps.htm

Last edited 2012

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#7]
Jesse: That ok, thanks for trying :)

Thanks for tips Derron and it is challange I like to do :)

Captain Wicked Soft....I did love to see you making Sport management games and it isn't easy task.....if you think it is easy...go and make one and show on here :P

Last edited 2012

matibee(Posted 2012) [#8]
Any game like this worth its salt won't just be randomising the commentary. It will be calculating the game as it goes, based on many factors. Some of the those factors for a football game might be..

Attack strength/speed
Defence strength/speed
Midfield strength/speed
Shot accuracy
Goal keeper ability

The whole idea of the game would be to build the best team you can to build those numbers up. Higher teams in the leagues will have better stats than lower teams etc.

There would be some random sprinkling of chance in a match too for things like injuries.

Calculating how a game plays out isn't the hardest thing to do for a game like this, the hardest thing to do is balancing the stats.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
go and make one and show on here :P

Actually, I think I will give it a go sometime! :D

EDIT: not really sure what you mean by "sports management", but it can't take too long to figure out. :P

Last edited 2012