Creating repeating tiles

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Creating repeating tiles

blackwater(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi my friends. I seemed to have hit another hurdle and desperately need some help. I'm finishing up my game editor and the one area that I'm still a novice in is graphics, yes I know, a huge area.

My game editor displays the game world in isometric view, with my drawing the isometric grid for visual help. Each tile in my world is 80p wide and 80p high. I created a simple isometric square in Google Sketchup and painted it with a seamless texture I downloaded from the web. I exported it as a png 256 H and 145 W and used the builtin so view on it.

I imported that image into my editor and using DrawImageRect created a tile in the world. I had to enlarge it to 140x140 to cover a single tile and it doesn't quite matchup and the edges are frayed. Please see the link below to see an example. Also, the texture I applied to the shape is supposed to be a stone wall which as you see it's all blurred together now.

I know it's asking a lot but I just I don't know enough about this process. What size seamless textures should I be using? How do I create seamless tiles in BM so you don't see edges? I need to create ground and walls that blend together without seams.

Any and all help would be hugely appreciated.

https://docs.google.com/open?id=0Bwg_7JQjD563UnR4UHR3RzQ3bGM