Compile for Mac without a Mac

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Compile for Mac without a Mac

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#1]
Is there a way to compile my game for mac if I don't have a mac at all? I have PC and Linux. I saw a tutorial somewhere that could compile for pc mac and linux all with one build button clicked, but it requires a mac to set up to get it to work. Is there a way around this?
If not, could an admin send me a blitzmax zip that is already set up for this? I know for sure that an admin can see that I ordered BlitzMax in written proof, would it that be enough so that they could send me the files?

Btw- I can test my games on a friend's Mac, but they don't want me installing anything, which means I can't install blitzmax.

Thanks!
TKG

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#2]
As far as I know you need a mac to compile for mac.. it needs xcode which is mac only.

You have to compile it ON the mac.

Your friend would not only have to allow you to install blitzmax but also xcode which is like >1gb of data.

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#3]
What are the chances of someone here being nice enough to convert my game to app?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
I'll do it after my current project is done, will cost you though. Time is money 'n all that.

Actually, strike that. For what i'd have to charge to make it worthwhile, you wouldn't be much worse off buying a second hand mac mini.

Last edited 2012

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#5]
I have done it using a Mac Virtual Machine on my PC in the past. Virtual Machine running MacOS are really slow though, you won't be able to run it at more than 3 or 4 fps, but you will be able to compile just fine.

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#6]
I guess you could try some kind of `hackintosh` and install osx on your pc?

I use a dual-booting/bootcamp mac which has osx + windows on it.

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#7]
Could you guys provide links? Is this something that is free? I've looked all over for this kind of thing with no luck. Thanks for the replies btw.

Last edited 2012

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Is this is something that is free?

It is not, given that you don't have a license for OSX without either buying it or getting it bundled with a Mac.

Furthermore, the OSX EULA specifies that it is only valid to run on apple-branded hardware, so depending on where you live hacking it together to run on a 'normal' PC or in a virtual machine on a normal PC is quite possible not legal.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#9]
OSX is not free. I don't think you can get it on a disc any more either, which is a major obstacle to installing it where you want. Once you have your hands on it, however, VirtualBox is free and runs OSX moderately well.

However... there is no decent substitute for a Mac if you want to do Apple development (I've been down this road myself, it is painful). If you're developing commercially, a couple of hundred squids for a second-hand Mac mini on eBay is no big deal, and far less than the trial to your nerves that will be the alternative (if that amount of money is a big deal, you have other priorities than Mac development, starting with "get that much money" - even an indie game will sell far more copies for Windows). If you're not developing commercially... how important is it to you to have a Mac release when you won't even be able to provide support? For a free game it might actually be less hassle to just release as source.

Any OS running outside the target system isn't a suitable test environment for commercial purposes, because it won't behave normally.

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#10]
Thanks for the reply. It is very nice to know that windows games sell more than mac games. Yes, I do intend to go commercial, at least sooner or later. Thanks everyone! :D

Last edited 2012

TaskMaster(Posted 2012) [#11]
It is not free. And it is in fact against the OSX license agreement as others have said. I would not do it that way if I were trying to distribute commercially either.

I originally did it just to make sure my ifsoGUI stuff would work on a Mac. I ended up giving the source with the purchase though as supporting it like that would have been a nightmare.

SLotman(Posted 2012) [#12]
Buy a #$@% Mac.

I did it, and although it's a very expensive computer, 1 year selling stuff on the App Store have paid it - and none of my games were even featured anywhere =P~

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#13]
And as far as 'low cost' macs are concerned: The mac mini is fairly cheap, plus you can shave off a few more bucks if necessary by purchasing a refurbed unit through the apple.com website (they will still be covered by Apple's warranty)

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#14]
I got the idea. Thanks guys.