Execute BMX script from BlitzMax compiled App?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Execute BMX script from BlitzMax compiled App?

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#1]
The title pretty much says it - Is there a way to execute the code in a BMX file from an already compiled blitzmax app? Can it work on Windows, Mac, and Linux, if at all?

Thanks!
TKG

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#2]
No, BlitzMax is not a script interpreter and redistributing the compiler is not allowed.

This is what Lua and the various other "scripting languages" are for (you can actually use pretty much any other language for this, the main obstacle is BlitzMax's proprietary licence preventing you from redistributing the compiler).

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thank you for the quick reply. Though I wasn't asking to redistribute the compiler, just a compiled game that can read text files and execute code from them. Which also from reading your post appears to not be allowed.

are we allowed to, for example, make a platformer engine that reads text files in order to determine the level layouts, character images and other various settings? I mean without executing a bmx file. And then have a second game exe that makes it easier to write to those text files by having a built in level, enemy, and options editor Gui?

Thanks.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#4]
Oh, certainly. Lots of people have that. So long as the executed code isn't technically BlitzMax itself, but some configuration, markup or third-party language, that should be fine. (If the code you want to execute is BlitzMax itself, you'd need the compiler present to be able to execute it...)

For your example case, check the code archives for XML and JSON utilities, which ought to do quite well for level data (assuming you're actually interested in that).

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
Is there a way to execute the code in a BMX file from an already compiled blitzmax app?

If you were planning on writing your own code interpretor then maybe so.
DrawImage() = blah blah blah 'you get the idea ;)

Derron(Posted 2012) [#6]

DrawImage() = blah blah blah 'you get the idea ;)

No I didn't.

bye
Ron

time-killer-games(Posted 2012) [#7]
Thanks Yasha!