What Just happened?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/What Just happened?

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#1]
Working away, then it was working

i made a spelling change and now i cannot compile!

and now

"Build Error: failed to compile D:/Work/Games/bomb-job.bbmax/Bomb_Job.bmx"

is all i get, rebooted, reinstalled blitzmax, and NOTHING!

even tried doing a simple "hello world" and boom, nothing

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Funny, precisely the same thing happened to me only a few days ago. What I did, was accidentally hit Compile in BLIde with one of the Max2D modules open, and it compiled that instead. After that, it just wouldn't play ball any more.

Sorted by uninstalling BlitzMax, manually deleting the Blitzmax folder residue, then reinstalling.

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#3]
thats what i just did, im even planning on reinstalling windows!
even checkedout my path evniroment...

:(

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#4]
i am a BLIDE user and never had a problem...

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#5]
did you update Blide by any chance?

col(Posted 2012) [#6]
Hiya,

Building a module may or may not successfully build an exe. If it does succeed then the intermediate files will be incorrect and any code that wants to use that module wont compile again. You can either pointlessly edit ( put a space and delete it again ) the module file that fails, so that a change is registered when you save it, which will force a rebuild of that module when you 'Build Modules'. Alternatively you can go into the offending .mod folder and delete all .a .i intermediate files and also delete the .bmx folder, then Build Modules to rebuild it.

Failing that, delete the BlitzMax folder as GfK suggests.
If that fails then its in your source.

EDIT:- Just noticed youre using BLide, it has just had updates.

Last edited 2012

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#7]

is all i get, rebooted, reinstalled blitzmax, and NOTHING!

even tried doing a simple "hello world" and boom, nothing 

sadly i've already done it, im going Linux at this rate!

or maybe, higher power prevernting me coding this game, since coding this game everything seems to have gotten in the way a series of pretty bad luck

col(Posted 2012) [#8]
Reinstalling without manually deleting the actual folder does leave files behind that could cause problems. If you've deleted it completely then thats obviously not the problem.

Have you tried a simple HelloWorld using the standard IDE to rule out the any thing to do with BLide?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
@Neochrome
Try using the Edit button on the top right side of your posts. ;)
reinstalling windows!

dont do that. just delete the entire BlitzMax folder under 'C:\Program Files\BlitzMax' and reinstall.

Last edited 2012

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#10]
Actually Im sorry Gentlemen/Ladies...
I've been feeling a little sorry for my self and got VERY frustrated...

the way i had to do it was

"uninstalled blide"
"uninstall blide update sp1"
"uninstall blitzmax"

and then reinstalled these on another drive all together my drive D:

seems ok now.

but before, even the simple "Hello World" didn't work. in blide OR in BlitzMax IDE... it was TOOO wierd!

(noted for EDIT function... forgot it was there)

therevills(Posted 2012) [#11]
I've had something like this when playing around with dx modules in the past, I fixed by rebuilding all the modules.

Derron(Posted 2012) [#12]
just remove the .bmx-directories (marked as hidden in windows, hidden by "."-naming in linux/mac).

They contain the compiled .a/... files - like mentioned before they could be differing if a module is build as .exe.

It is nearly impossible that a wrong compilation of a file makes compiling itself impossible: exception is a file which replaces the compiler files after compilation/linking (bmk, or the gcc/mingw/flat assembler...).

bye
Ron

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#13]
I *think^* this can happen when you have some modules built with some MinGW distributions and some other with another non compatible version. If that ever happens again, try rebuilding all modules both in threaded an unthreaded mode, and see if it changes anything

Pineapple(Posted 2012) [#14]
This happens to me a lot, especially when I'm hasty and try to compile a second time when it's not finished the first. I open the task manager, find the process for the compiled program, and end it. It compiles fine after that.

Last edited 2012

Neochrome(Posted 2012) [#15]
it was odd tho as i even rebooted the machien and still id didn't do anything.