TImage in Linux Console

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/TImage in Linux Console

jihem(Posted 2012) [#1]
How to use a TImage in a "Framework BRL.StandardIO" linux console program (in SSH without X11) ? I can't add a TImage object without "Import Max2D"... and a Linux console with "Import Max2D" crashs in an SSH session (but works in an xterm session).

Wiebo(Posted 2012) [#2]
You need the max2d module to use the command LoadImage as a mimimum, so you must import it. But you cannot draw it of course as you have no Graphics object in a console program. As to why it is crashing in an SSH session? I don't know.

jihem(Posted 2012) [#3]
I don't draw anything. I load a stream in a TImage object and add information then store the result to disk. The program is a command line utility. I would like to start it in the background with the crontab.

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#4]
Images exist in video memory, which need a graphic context which is not available in text mode...

Perhaps you can get it to work using a TPixmap instead?
Those reside in 'normal' RAM, instead of video RAM.

Anyhoo, I seem to recall that Banshee tried to do something similar a few years back, and in the end managed to get everything to work on the linux console without graphics... although I don't remember the specifics, you may be able to find some of her old postings on this subject matter.

jihem(Posted 2012) [#5]
Thanks. I'll have a look.

jihem(Posted 2012) [#6]
I just found the topic.

http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=95302

You're our knowledge database xlsior.