Can I change array size dynamically?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Can I change array size dynamically?

Rico(Posted 2012) [#1]
I want to use arrays for my program so i can use the index to access each variable quickly, but i also want the array size to grow as and when i need it.

The nature of my program means i have to store a large number of arrays but the array could be very small or very large. I have no idea which before the program starts.

My question is can i change array size as and when i want in Blitz or is it fixed?

matibee(Posted 2012) [#2]
You can resize arrays. It's called "array slicing"..

Local a:Int[10]

For i:Int = 0 To 9
	a[i] = i
Next 

For i:Int = EachIn a
	Print i
Next 
Print "---"

' resize up...
a = a[..20]

For i:Int = 10 To 19
	a[i] = i
Next 

Print i
Next 
Print "---"

' resize down
a = a[5..9]

Print i
Next 
Print "---"

Floyd(Posted 2012) [#3]
Just keep in mind this isn't a magically efficient solution to a notoriously hard problem. Your original array doesn't actually change size. BlitzMax is allocating a new array and copying values from the old array, which is then discarded and later garbage collected

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#4]
another thing to note is that arrays are objects so it would be as slow as variables objects. if you want to access values fast use pointers.

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#5]
If you're dynamically adding and remomoving objects, it is several orders of magnitud faster to use lists.

Arrays:
-very slow resizing, but very fast item indexing

Lists:
-very fast adding and removing items, but slow indexing of items

If you typically access items in a sequential way, using For Each in a List is usually fast enough, so unless you're accesing all the time random indexes on the data structure, linked lists are usually better.

there there are maps, that do provide a faster way to add and remove items than resizing arrays, but slower than lists, and it allows indexed access to container items, faster tha lists, but slower than arrays.

Hezkore(Posted 2012) [#6]
Don't forget about TMap!

TomToad(Posted 2012) [#7]
If you don't need the old values when resizing the array, you can just assign a new array instead of using slices.
Local a:Int[10]

Print a.length

a = New Int[30]

Print a.length

Rico(Posted 2012) [#8]
Ok thanks very much for all the help. I like that you can resize arrays. I probably could use that because my program doesnt have to be that fast or efficient in any way.

I might have a go using lists first to see if i can make that work though. Thanks again :)