BLitzmax is still alive?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/BLitzmax is still alive?

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello,

please believe me I don't want to arise a flame, I simply need to know how Blitzmax development is goind on.

I'm starting a new project, and I wish to use blitzmax (I really love this program!). I noticed that (maybe I'm wrong) there is no real Bltzmax code improvement (new features, 3D support, etc...) from a long time (but I found some updates... maybe related to bug-fix? I don't find any changelog, sorry).

Can I know if Blitzmax is still actively developed? I ask this even because there is another product in active development: Monkey. So, can you clarify me the situation?

Thank you for your help!

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#2]
V 1.48 of Blitzmax was recently released, with many modules now being open sourced. As of the moment, BlitzMax is actively being developed.

MiniB3D and Leadwerks are two very capable 3D engines for Blitzmax (although Leadwerks has substantially more features).

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#3]
Thank you for your info!
I know leadwrks (I have it) since I used blitzmax in the past a lot.
THank you again!! I will start my new project :-)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#4]
I think there will be BlitzMax 2 in the work(it will be out either 2013 or 2014) and watch this space :P

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#5]
Blitzmax 2?!!!?

And Monkey?

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#6]
Max2 is believed to be the successor to BlitzMax, quite possibly with 64-bit support. - apologies for a misunderstanding of my part. This statement is incorrect.

Monkey is, as far as I understand it, an offspring of BlitzMax, that also enables development for mobile devices - as well as current generation consoles such as XBox 360 and PlayStation 3. Website here

Last edited 2012

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#7]
When's Max2 been mentioned?

The only time I can remember seeing talk of it was when "BMX2" was the development codename for Monkey, back in 2010.

Alessandro(Posted 2012) [#8]
Any link to max2?

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2012) [#9]
My view is, blitzmax's main features were pretty much locked in a few years ago. Since then a few additions have been made in minor ways and a lot of bug fixes. Mark seems to still be keen to keep up with bug fixes but his sights have obviously shifted to Monkey which is the `new blitzmax` for more platforms/mobile/web. I very much doubt blitzmax will ever see a `version 2`. So yes it gets updated to fix things but any improvements are coming from the community for the most part. That doesn't mean it's dead or anything, it's still a very useful language and still will be great for creating games and apps for at least a few more years I'd say.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#10]
There is no blitzmax 2. There has never been any official mention of it. Hotshot is just making stuff up.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#11]
Then | I wonder | what these | links were | all about.

Either way. Made up or not, there is a need for a new version of B/Max.

Last edited 2012

col(Posted 2012) [#12]
Hiya,

They are about what turned out to be called Monkey.

therevills(Posted 2012) [#13]
Yep, Dave is right - Bmx2 was renamed to Monkey.

I've noticed alot of people will only use tools which are constantly being updated, even though a product which is stable will do the job.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#14]
I rest my case.

gekkonier(Posted 2012) [#15]
If Blitzmax is not updating to cocoa it will become obsolete for mac in some time, as mountian lion deprecates carbon.

That doesn't mean no carbon app will ever run on mountain lion, but who knows what the future brings, and who knows how much of the carbon api will be kicked?

I will cry rivers, because I like blitzmax much much more than monkey :(

Last edited 2012

*(Posted 2012) [#16]
Yeah Apple have a knack of forcing progress (if you can call it that) by dropping sections of osx, like rosetta

John G(Posted 2012) [#17]
@EdzUp[GD] Looking back, wish I had dumped Apple 5 years earlier. Apple treats partners like puppets. Let them build their own 'protected' games.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#18]
Either way. Made up or not, there is a need for a new version of B/Max.
I don't agree, there is nothing wrong with Blitzmax. It still does what it was designed to do very, very well.

If you want to write for iOS/Android/whatever else it supports then yeah, use Monkey. I've only released one title with Monkey and found it to be no more than OK in it's (at the time, late last year) current form. Filesystem support was mediocre/laughable (delete as applicable to your platform), there was no debugger of any kind so I'd spend hours (days in some cases) hunting for bugs that I could have nailed in a few minutes with even a half-arsed debugger. Another quirk was the case-sensitivity thing. While this may be 'normal' in other languages, it's slightly alien to me, though I could have tolerated it if MaxIDE had intellisense of some kind, but it does not. That, coupled with the debugger issue, made Monkey development (for me) borderline excruciating. All of that said, with the exception of the filesystem problems which are/were very hit and miss from platform to platform, I could just about live with it if I had to translate further Blitzmax games to Monkey, but even then I'd need a pretty big backer dangling a large bag of cash, otherwise the reward is not worth the pain.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#19]
there is nothing wrong with Blitzmax

...but I would still love to see interfaces and generics backported to it.

gekkonier(Posted 2012) [#20]
If Blitzmax is not updating to cocoa it will become obsolete for mac in some time, as mountian lion deprecates carbon.

I'm so sorry about this - this is wrong information!
Blitzmax is running on cocoa - at least Maxgui does, so I guess a windowed screen should also be Cocoa then. I'm sorry.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#21]
I don't agree, there is nothing wrong with Blitzmax. It still does what it was designed to do very, very well.

Except that, I can only allocate 2GB per process. I'd like that to be 64-bit.

For the client that is perfectly fine, but my server will probably need more than that.

Last edited 2012

AdamRedwoods(Posted 2012) [#22]
blitzmax64 would need the "long" keyword for 64-bit integers. i suspect we'd see it in monkey before blitzmax.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#23]
blitzmax64 would need the "long" keyword for 64-bit integers

?

BlitzMax already has the Long keyword for 64-bit integers.

The "64-bit support" issue is about address-space and pointer size, not numbers.

Armitage 1982(Posted 2012) [#24]
BlitzMax only need a couple of pimped modules to facilitate the making of games. Other than that, it's a pretty language so I think it is safe to say we still be able to use it for a few years.

Even if some of the language progress made with Monkey would be very welcome :D

We should start our own Kickstarter fund to employ someone at BRL for improving BlitzMax set of modules :) ... ^^

... I'm serious.

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#25]

... I'm serious.

Email BRL, ask how much they want, if it's feasible... Do it!

Dabz

Pete Carter(Posted 2012) [#26]
Thats a good idea but only if mark wants to do it. If monkey is his focus at the moment and what hes enjoying doing i don't think he will do it. Maybe if apple do make 32bit software not work in a future version of osx it may force him into action, but even then max would be getting on a bit and im not sure it would increase sells.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#27]
I think BlitzMax should have some modules to do cross platform (html5, iOS, Andriod etc).
If monkey was as easy as Max or b3d I would probably buy it, but from trying the demo it is not as easy to use nor as new user friendly as blitzmax and blitzbasic :(
I have heard great things about AGK though. Anyone tried it?
http://www.appgamekit.com

gekkonier(Posted 2012) [#28]
Blitzmax will never get html5, ios, android & co, because there is monkey.

Pete Carter(Posted 2012) [#29]
monkey doesn't even compile for ios,andriod etc. its a totally different idea where it converts the monkey code into the language needed to use each platforms sdk then uses them to compile the code. Monkey is a way to support lots of platforms without having to write a compiler for each. I think it was a good move. I paid for it but I don't think its for me. Blitzmax does the job at the moment. Id like to think there would be a new version or an update to 64bit, as at some point it will become an issue.

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#30]
its a totally different idea where it converts the monkey code into the language needed to use each platforms sdk

....there's a functional difference between that and compiling for iOS/Android/etc?

(Bear in mind the majority of compilers work this way now, they just aren't so high-level or open about it. c.f. LLVM bitcode, Java bytecode, CIL, etc.)

Hotshot2005(Posted 2012) [#31]
This Treads is like Neverending story as it is never end! LOL

gekkonier(Posted 2012) [#32]
It's a hidden cry for Blitzmax 2 in 64bit. Thats all. I cry with you. Loud. Again and again. Crying. Good morning.