Error when trying to run the examples of MaxMod2

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Error when trying to run the examples of MaxMod2

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hello again,

Today I am testing the MaxMod2 Module.
I manage to build the module and I am trying to load some of the example and I have "C:/BlitzMax/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -ldsound"
error when try to compile one of the examples "MiniPlayer.bmx"

What is the fault?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Try this: http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=96336

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#3]
Rebuilding (Already Built) Modules didn't fix the problem.
Download MinGW from here : http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=90964
Didn't fix the problem to.

My modules are built , my minGW is correct , any other suggestion?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
There is a new version of MinGW that you need to use. I'll post a link if I can find it.

[edit] I *think* this is it. I think the dependency on the new version changed at around 1.44.

Last edited 2012

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#5]
I deleted my old MinGW
I download the minGw you gave me
After extract completed , I run the "set_distro_paths.bat"
The g++ --version shows my version 4.7.0
My environment variables seems to be correct.
I upgraded my version of my BlitzMax 1.48
I rebuilt all modules...

And the "C:/BlitzMax/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -ldsound"
error persists.

I ate 3 days , quiting.
Wasting of time trying to compile third party broken modules.

I will use what compiles the rest blacklisted.
I wonder how many broken modules I will find.

Thank you at least you helped me to install the latest minGW. :o)

Ole JR(Posted 2012) [#6]
http://www.blitzbasic.com/Community/posts.php?topic=95746#1111290

That might fix the "ld.exe cannot find -ldsound" error..

Last edited 2012

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#7]
When I copied the libdsound.a library from mingw\lib to blitzmax\lib
the miniplayer compiled but new error appeared.

EXCEPTION_ACCESS_VIOLATION

I tried to compile the folderplayer.bmx and I have another error
Compile Error: Can't find interface for module 'maxmod2.modplayer'
Build Error: failed to compile

As I start understanding is missing the modplayer.mod directory from C:\BlitzMax\mod\maxmod2.mod

Why everything is not fixed and someone needs to struggle so much to make something work?
The module have missing folders , the libraries are missing.

Sure you will have some solution for this.
Thank you.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#8]
The thing with MaxMod is that it has not been updated in almost three years and the author doesn't seem to be around any more, so any compatibility problems with current versions of Blitzmax/MinGW are probably not going to get fixed.

With that in mind, you may be better off to just look for another solution to whatever you're trying to do and forget about MaxMod.

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#9]
I have tried fmod3 module and worked. I have put it in my collection.
May I ask , if someone use fmod3 for games or in the future commercial games , does he/she needs to pay some licence fees?

Somewhere I saw , you must pay a special fee for each of your program you create and use the fmod library , but I am not sure if use this fmod3 library which exists here need a special fee or if the fee is per copy not per program.

Is there any other module except maxmod2 and fmod3 , for mod music (.mod .s3m .it .xm) here?
Thank you.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#10]
The cheapest licence for FMOD is $500 per app, per platform, for apps turning over less than $100,000.

There is also BASS and IrrKlang. I honestly don't know a lot about any of them, though.

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#11]
So I am forgetting about fmod3 even if worked and put it in my collection.

I am not planning to pay $500 in fees for just creating one game. (Except if my game sold and make $100.000 in sales I will give them $500) $500 for every $100.000 profits? they are very generous.

I will try to see what BASS and IrrKlang have to do , if compile , we have and this problem.
If I will have problems , sure I will , you will see a new post :P
Thank you for your information.

GfK(Posted 2012) [#12]
Except if my game sold and make $100.000 in sales I will give them $500
I'm afraid it doesn't work like that. You have to pay the licence fee first, otherwise you are not allowed to sell anything.

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#13]
Someone here: http://www.blitzmax.com/Community/posts.php?topic=95064#1093459

Said IrrKlang and Bass have licence fees to.

So there is not any free mod music library or one time purchase at list.

Takis76(Posted 2012) [#14]
Brucey is the guy who need to pay the fee or the guy who made the port for BlitzMax?

How many of you , have used these mod music libraries for your games? do ever paid any fee?

Or do ever sold any game?

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#15]
I don't know anything about sound libraries so I don't know if any of these are any good, but:

http://www.irrlicht3d.org/wiki/index.php?n=Main.SoundLibraries

GfK(Posted 2012) [#16]
Brucey is the guy who need to pay the fee or the guy who made the port for BlitzMax?
You're wrong. Brucey's module allows Blitzmax to utilise FMOD in an easier way, and that includes the free non-commercial licence.

If you want to use FMOD in a commercial project then YOU must pay the licence fee. It doesn't happen often but I'm lost for words as you really seem to believe that Brucey should buy your FMOD licence for you. By the way, your attitude towards REDi stinks (re: the other thread you dug up specifically to slag him off), therefore, you're on your own.