why isn't the dot moving?

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/why isn't the dot moving?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
SuperStrict 
AppTitle$ = "My Application"

Graphics 800 , 600
AutoMidHandle True
SeedRnd(MilliSecs() )

Local player:TPlayer = New TPlayer

player.PlayerMove 'append movement to dot

Repeat
	Cls

DrawRect player.X , player.Y , 10 , 10

Flip(-1) 'vsync
Until AppTerminate() Or KeyDown(KEY_ESCAPE)

Type TPlayer

Field X:Int = 400
	Field Y:Int = 300
	Field speed:Int = 7.5

Method PlayerMove()
		If KeyDown(KEY_W)
			Y:+ speed
		EndIf 
		If KeyDown(KEY_S)
				Y:- speed
				EndIf
				If KeyDown(KEY_A)
					X:- speed
					EndIf
					If KeyDown(KEY_D)
						X:+ speed
						EndIf
			EndMethod
EndType

So Why isn't the dot moving?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#2]
Not wanting to be Captain Obvious, but it's not moving because you aren't moving it.

You need to update the movement inside your main loop instead of once, before it.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
Oops!, I just noticed that! No wonder it wasn't working! lol

Matty(Posted 2012) [#4]
Just one more comment - your indenting seems a bit off .. very hard to read...

therevills(Posted 2012) [#5]
your indenting seems a bit off .. very hard to read...

Looks a bit like Python! LOL

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
@Matty:
Everyone has their own unique coding style, Mine would be indenting beyond all reason :P
Its easier for me to read and that is the only thing that matters for the coder to be able to read/write his or her own code as they please. :D

Jesse(Posted 2012) [#7]
aren't you being a little contradictory?
you post code for others to help you with and yet according to you it doesn't matter if others understand it.
hmm...

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#8]
There's a reason why indenting is important. If you code, and you wish to help others with it, there are certain things the common coding community has agreed on.

Look at some Linux kernel source code to get an idea.

Also, this is important for you to read through.

--

Losing track of blocks

In certain situations, there is a risk of losing track of block boundaries. This is often seen in large sections of code containing many compound statements nested to many levels of indentation - by the time the programmer scrolls to the bottom of a huge set of nested statements, he may have lost track of which control statements go where.

Programmers who rely on counting the opening braces may have difficulty with indentation styles such as K&R, where the beginning brace is not visually separated from its control statement. Programmers who rely more on indentation will gain more from styles that are vertically compact, such as K&R, because the blocks are shorter.

To avoid losing track of control statements such as for, one can use a large indent, such as an 8-unit wide hard tab, along with breaking up large functions into smaller and more readable functions. Linux is done this way, as well as using the K&R style.

--

PS:

Field speed:Int = 7.5

THAT would be a Float =|

Last edited 2012