Making a game available for download

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Making a game available for download

Rico(Posted 2012) [#1]
Hi i just made a very simple game, and i want to make it available for friends to download via a link. How can i do this?

First of all i need to know how to make an executable from a BlitzMax source file? Also my game uses a text file for the high scores. what do i do with this?

after i've got that sorted out how do i put it up for download?

never done this before so no idea how to do this, thank you for any help :)

Derron(Posted 2012) [#2]
also your post sounds a bit like trolling:

1. - if you run your game, you already built an executable (same folder than your .bmx file)

2. Highscore - as you were able to export highscores, you should be able to import them too - for online highscores search the forum

3. put it for download at some filehosters (think after megauploadthingy you will know what it is)

4. no problem

bye
ron

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#3]

and i want to make it available for friends to download via a link. How can i do this?

Sounds to me you need Dropbox:-

https://www.dropbox.com/

First of all i need to know how to make an executable from a BlitzMax source file?

It should automatically build the executable file within your project folder, look for a file marked with a .exe extension... You might have two in there, one with just the .exe and one with .debug.exe... The one you should distribute is the one with the plain old .exe!

Also my game uses a text file for the high scores. what do i do with this?

Make sure you distribute alongside your game.

after i've got that sorted out how do i put it up for download?

Wrap it up in a zipped archive (.zip), install Dropbox, open the Dropbox folder, copy it (Your zipped app) to the 'Public' folder (You'll have to wait till it uploads, but it will tell you when its ready), right click on the copied zip, select Dropbox in the popup menu, then click the 'Copy Public Link' item, paste this link in your friends email!

Job done!

Dabz

Last edited 2012

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#4]

put it for download at some filehosters (think after megauploadthingy you will know what it is)

No... Dont put them on them sites, their the work of satan, and I refuse to download anything from them, nothing beats just clicking a link, instead of having to go through numerous screens and watch a countdown timer (Unless the downloader has a premium account for 'Instant Access', lol... What a load of ****)... You, your friends and everyone else is better off with you using Dropbox... Seriously! :)

If you need something more powerful, as in, to build a whole website, let me know, and I'll rustle you up a subdomain at indiecodez.com, with amble space, FTP, PHP, mySQL and ad-free... You obviously dont need it now, but, when you do, just give me a yell! ;)

Dabz

Last edited 2012

Rico(Posted 2012) [#5]
Excellent, really appreciate all the info and time you went to to post it. i thought there might be a build final executable option or something, but that's great i can just use the standard one. thanks very much for the help, definitely going to try Dropbox as well

I'm a bit worried people are just going to edit the highscore file in a text-editor, any was to stop people doing this?

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#6]
If people have a file people can modify a file. The only way to protect things is to keep them away from people. You can make it harder to modify by encoding, or even encrypting it, but if it's critical it can't be trusted to user space in any form... To dissuade the average user obfuscating it in some fashion is usually enough, like zip the content but don't call it a .zip file, call the file a .dat

Dabhand(Posted 2012) [#7]

I'm a bit worried people are just going to edit the highscore file in a text-editor, any was to stop people doing this?

Ah, I missed the context of your original post about this... Silly me! :)

If their serious about breaking your highscore table, they will, regardless of how you do it, but, like ima747 said, you should mangle it, there is some encryption code laid about in the archives, check them out and use that to first mangle your data, then, like ima747 said, bury it in a zip file...

You could also, hide the file (GCC required, probably):-

hiddenfile.bmx
Import "hiddenfile.cpp"

Extern "C"
Function CreateHiddenFile:Byte(path:Byte Ptr)
EndExtern 

Print CreateHiddenFile("YouAintSeenMe.txt")

hiddenfile.cpp
#include "windows.h"
#include <stdio.h>

extern "C"
{
	BOOL CreateHiddenFile( const char * fileName)
	{
		HANDLE hFile; 

//Check to see if file exists
		hFile = CreateFile(fileName,       
                	GENERIC_WRITE,              
                	NULL,                     
                	OPEN_EXISTING,           
                	FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN,    
                	NULL);   

//If not, create a new one
		if (hFile == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) 
		{ 
			hFile = CreateFile(fileName,   
        	     GENERIC_WRITE,   
        	     NULL,      
        	     CREATE_ALWAYS,      
        	     FILE_ATTRIBUTE_HIDDEN,   
        	     NULL);

if (hFile == INVALID_HANDLE_VALUE) 
			{ 
        			return(FALSE); 
			} 
		}

CloseHandle(hFile);
		return(TRUE);
	}
}

This creates a hidden file in Windows, which, you can open like any normal file through BlitzMax commands (Though, check if it exists first before you create it, as it will probably wipe existing data you have stored).

People can still view these when they have "Show hidden files and folders" settings turned on, but, just another idea! :)

Dabz

Last edited 2012

Last edited 2012

Derron(Posted 2012) [#8]
Don't hide files... it's useless
Same is encryption of a whole file, or hashes of name+point+...

People who want to cheat, cheat...

But to keep it easy: use hashes... md5 with salt stored together with name, points,... within the highscorefile.

bye Ron

Ps: oneclickhosters wont be evil... and they are not providing that public links like dropbox. If you use the ones with countdowns, captchas... you are surely using the wrong ones.

SystemError51(Posted 2012) [#9]
Alternatively:
Vernam Cipher

How it works