Help! Max will not compile under new Mac!

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/Help! Max will not compile under new Mac!

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#1]
I just opened up blitzmax in Lion and It will not compile, I just bought this Mac from Apple and it will not do anything. Do I need Xcode to run this? I haven't installed anything yet so..

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#2]
- Yes, you need xcode installed (free download from Apple)
- You need to make sure that you have version 1.47 of Blitzmax for it to work properly under Lion. IF you don't already, you can download this from your account on the website.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#3]
I can't download anywhere near a gigabyte! Are there any other options? maybe something that my ISP will let me download? just the Mac sdk?

GfK(Posted 2012) [#4]
You should have a version of xcode on a cd that came with your mac, but you will need to update it at some point. If you can't download large files then you probably shouldn't have got a mac, as system updates are invariably huge.

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#5]
Why wouldn't this work? it is a fee GCC compiler right? http://hpc.sourceforge.net/

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#6]
Also, Cant i just install project builder and be alright?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#7]
Okay I hate the latest Xcode installed, I get this error now
Building tiledrop
Compiling:tiledrop.bmx
sh: as: command not found
Build Error: Failed to assemble /Users/austinwicker/Desktop/BlitzMax/samples/birdie/games/tiledrop/.bmx/tiledrop.bmx.gui.debug.macos.x86.s
Process complete

I noticed the .lib folder is empty, Should I reinstall BlitzMax?

xlsior(Posted 2012) [#8]
Did you install version 1.47 of blitzmax?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#9]
Yes I did. I installed the latest version on Xcode too. 4.3.2

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#10]
I think I just found the problem!
Xcode in the Mac App Store has been repackaged, and is now distributed as a stand-alone application. This replaces the Install Xcode package, and adds support for delta updates. Xcode includes a new "Downloads" preference pane to install optional components such as command line tools, and previous iOS Simulators.

Any chance of this getting fixed?

EDIT: Was I supposed to put the BlitzMax files into the Applications folder? I put it on the desktop and opened it, Is this wrong?

Last edited 2012

jtfrench(Posted 2012) [#11]
One of the biggest changes in Lion is that it no longer uses the /Developer directory in the same way that was common in previous versions of Mac OS X.

"/Developer" would be the place all the developer tools would be installed (e.g. Xcode stuff, compiler stuff, profiling tools), and other development tools could look to these files as well. This is not the case in Mac OS X Lion. Instead, Xcode follows in the "all-inclusive app bundle" mantra that is practiced for iOS apps and also apps downloaded from the Mac App Store. Xcode is now installed through the Mac App Store and doesn't depend on the /Developer (in fact, it'll ask you if you want to delete it). Instead of installing stuff at the /Developer directory, it contains all necessary compilers and tools within the application package (.app) itself. To inspect this, you can right-click on the app and choose "Show Package Contents" from the contextual menu that pops up. You can then navigate down a few directories and find the new place where all the dev tools are installed.

Keep in mind this is all a very new way of handling things in Xcode. Even Xcode 4.2 wasn't like this, but it seems like Xcode 4.3 and the release of iOS 5.1 has pushed all development into this direction. You cannot test iOS 5.1 apps without the new Xcode (4.3.2+) and the new Xcode follows this system. I'm still wrapping my head around this stuff myself, so I probably got a few things twisted.

As for BlitzMax, I'm not sure what this means as I'm still having difficulty getting projects to compile now as well. My guess would be to make symlinks to the dev binaries within the Xcode package. Not sure if that makes sense yet.

jtfrench(Posted 2012) [#12]
From Apple's site https://developer.apple.com/library/ios/#documentation/DeveloperTools/Conceptual/WhatsNewXcode/00-Introduction/Introduction.html :

Highlights Found in Xcode 4.3.1

Xcode 4.3.1 adds support for iOS SDK 5.1, and includes Mac OS X SDKs for 10.6 Snow Leopard and 10.7 Lion.

The Xcode toolset is repackaged as a single application for a better Mac App Store experience.

Complementary tools, such as Instruments and FileMerge, launch from within Xcode.

The ARC Migrator can convert Mac apps that use garbage collection or retain release.

Xcode 4.3 offers additional bug fixes, stability and performance improvements.

These highlights are described in “New Features in Xcode 4.3”

Note: Xcode 4.3 and later do not install the command-line tools by default. They can be installed by using the Components tab of the Downloads preferences pane, as described in “Command-Line Tools are Optional.”

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#13]
Note: Xcode 4.3 and later do not install the command-line tools by default

So would it be the command line tools that is the problem? If I install these command line tools, blitzmax should work?

jtfrench(Posted 2012) [#14]
Any luck?

Captain Wicker (crazy hillbilly)(Posted 2012) [#15]
Oh, I almost forgot! I got it working completely by installing those command line tools! And finally I was able to compile my pong tribute for the mac!

Thank You jtfrench, xlsior, GfK, ima747, and simonh (blitz support team) + anyone else I have failed to mention! :) :) :) ... XD

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#16]
You cannot test iOS 5.1 apps without the new Xcode (4.3.2+)

Actually you totally can. Just need to copy the iOS 5.1 SDK to your Xcode 4.2 installation.

ima747(Posted 2012) [#17]
You can't deploy to 5.1 devices except with 4.3.1 or later unless the device profiler in 4.2 can read it but I don't think it can...

Yasha(Posted 2012) [#18]
...I've been using Xcode 4.2 to develop for and test on my iOS 5.1 device, so... yeah it can be done.

See here: http://stackoverflow.com/questions/9611596/ios-5-1-with-xcode-4-2-and-retina-in-ipad-3

Last edited 2012