commands reference something

BlitzMax Forums/BlitzMax Beginners Area/commands reference something

hugblue(Posted 2012) [#1]
i started yesterday with blitzmax. it looks great and its not that i have not programmed before. but still. im not expert in it.

i have been looking and looking. on so many web pages for information. programs. mods. addons. lots of things that i dont thing i can use right now.

right now. im loking for a complete comad reference, instead of the help in blitzmax. but it seems impossible to get that thing or to get information enough. are there any command reference that shows all commands and gives a idea of what is inside blitzmax.

i have also been looking at alot of examples to get an idea of where to start. but again. its a jungle.

many of the guides or examples i have found. either cannot run in new blitzmax versions. and. i dont have the experience to rewrite them as of now.

i have also been looking around. for a way to grab a part of my desktop or any windows. into memory. then make a scan in another window to combine the differences of both. but no luck. yet. sort of screen scraping.

so really. i bought blitzmax and blide. and the curve is extremely steep. but in the end it should come.

hope any of you can give a little help.

just needed to get out with the anger and about the extremely steep curve. it is to get started.

and then theres oop. i have never looked at it. and it seems like talking a completely different language. would love to learn it.

Last edited 2012

ima747(Posted 2012) [#2]
The internal documentation of blitzmax includes every command, including commands in any modules you may add as long as they are properly documented internally as well. You can view them by category or alphabetically. Not sure what kind of documentation you're looking for other than this if you want a command list...

Screen scrapping is a pretty advanced concept and is quite OS dependent. It also (generally speaking) doesn't really overlap with the goal of BlitzMax which is primarily game development. Your best bet for this would be a module, but I'm un-aware of any at the moment that do this. Without a module you will have to write the functionality yourself and that will require bridging outside of the blitzmax toolkit... very tricky stuff.

There are some tutorials and introductions to OOP concepts in the tutorials section of the board, but OOP is more conceptual than strictly langauge based so really any guide you find should help get your head around the ideas, the syntax is pretty simple and again, the tutorials section should be of help.

hugblue(Posted 2012) [#3]
hi ima747.

thz alot.

i'm sure it all will come. with patience. smiling.

okee(Posted 2012) [#4]
This is from 2007 but it's very handy, Blitz help in chm format

http://2dgamecreators.com/files/

hugblue(Posted 2012) [#5]
super super

thz okee.

but hope this 2007 version have most of the commands.

H&K(Posted 2012) [#6]
You know when you start the IDE, well that "Home" tab has all the commands organised in modal or simply alphabetical

That chm okee pointed to is (I think) just this info put into a chm. If I remember correctly this was done by a program called hotdocs

Im going to suggest that you get BLIDE, with this, when you make an object you can see quickly what methods and functions can be applied to that instance.

(NB Because BMAX has been written so that it mostly can be used as a procedural OR Object orientated language, the command list as such is often a wrapper layer put on top of the objects)

ziggy(Posted 2012) [#7]
also, on BLIde, when you are in the Help HTML window, you can click on the book icon to see a reference panel on the right with all help documents sorted by category, including any third party module you may have installed.

BladeRunner(Posted 2012) [#8]
I would invite you to try HotDocs, which rebuilds the BMax help and makes it much better usable:
http://hotdocs.de.vu/

Inthe german board there is a fixed version for multithreading, but as a start the one from the site should do just fine.

hugblue(Posted 2012) [#9]
to h&k.
i have blide. ordered both blitzmax and blide a few days ago.
but about the help system. my aim was to get a knowledge of blitzmax commands as soon as possible and if possible to get it printed out. i come from another programming language with max 350 commands. not much.

to ziggi.
the help in blitzmax and blide is in computer form. and even if i have had computers for the last 25 years. then still i think its strange to read from. paper is quickest.

to bladerunner.
thz. and i am on it.

hugblue(Posted 2012) [#10]
to bladerunner..
just tried the program. and now i know what is to be expected. much easier this way. thz.